14 - Dance Dance Revolution

September, 1992 - Japan

"Did I forget someone's birthday or something?" Haruka asked bluntly. School had started up again a couple of weeks ago, and she had been sitting in the art closet when the door slammed open to reveal all of her friends in the hallway. "Why are you all here?"

"We're going to the arcade!" Ino announced confidently as she waltzed into the closet. "So let's go already."

"What, now?" Haruka asked. The school day had ended only twenty minutes ago, and she had planned to paint for awhile. "You want me to start blowing off my work this early on in the term?"

"You're not even taking art right now, Haruka," Kiba said in the doorway. "You're just painting for fun."

"Still," Haruka said sourly, continuing to paint.

Naruto snatched the brush out of her hands, making her exclaim, "Hey!"

Minutes later, all ten of them were on their way to the arcade. Once Haruka accepted the fact that she wouldn't get to paint any longer, (she had already worked on the mural in the morning, anyways) she was free to get excited about the arcade. So she led the group on her skates, even though everyone else was walking besides Sasuke, who was on his skateboard behind everyone.

Just for the hell of it, Haruka turned and snapped some pictures of everybody as they walked. Naruto and Hinata posed for them, but everyone else was just about tired of her constant photoshoots.

"You're going to fall, Haruka," Sakura said, observing the way she was skating backwards on the sidewalk. "Would you quit it?"

"Hey, if you didn't want a camera in your face, you never should have invited me." Haruka said sassily.

"You know you have paint on your forehead again, right?" Ino asked her, even though there was none there for once.

"Aw, what? Not again!" Haruka whined, turning forward again and letting her camera hang around her neck. She rubbed her forehead furiously, but nothing came off on her hand. "It must be dry already. Whatever."

When they arrived at the arcade, everyone dispersed to the games that they usually played. Haruka and Hinata were playing Dance Dance Revolution, and there seemed to be no line, so they hogged one of the two machines for a good amount of time.

"You're so good at this game, Haruka-chan!" Hinata said gleefully as Haruka scrolled through the machine for their next song.

"Well, yeah, this game was my childhood," Haruka said confidently, not taking her eyes off the screen. It was true; Haruka had been playing the game since she could walk. "You're pretty good too, though, Hinata."

Eventually, Kiba and Naruto started playing on the machine adjacent to them. After a while, the two duos decided to play the same songs and see who got the better scores. After the girls had won two and the guys had one two, they decided to play one last match to decide a final winner. By the time they had chosen the song, the rest of their friends had joined them to observe.

"You're going down, girls," Kiba announced proudly, his ego inflated by the audience, as Groove is in the Heart started to boom through the speakers of both machines.

"Doubt it," Haruka replied haughtily as they all began dancing. "This song is my jam."

When the end of the song came around, Hinata and Haruka's score was a couple hundred points higher than Naruto and Kiba's.

"Hell yeah!" Haruka whooped and high-fived Hinata. "We rule and you drool!"

"Dang it!" Naruto said with forced bitterness as Kiba hopped down off their machine. "We'll get you next time!"