Surround

Life is full of unexpected happenings, it could either break you or make you. How to respond to it actually depends on how strong a person's mental capacity is and how strong... one heart is.

"Baby, come let's eat. I made your favorite chicken soup. Eat it while it's hot." Sky calls out to Kai like he is calling a child to eat, so patient and so loving.

"Wow! my baby is the best. Let me try this soup." Kai excitedly sits at the table and tastes the chicken soup that Sky made. The soup can be compared to the taste of the sea where one doesn't need to make an effort to float. Yes! it's too salty.

"Is it good?" Sky asks with eyes wide open in anticipation.

"Everything that you made is great. I love this soup; you should make more baby." Kai grins replying to him.

"You spoil me too much; I know it's not good. Liar!" Sky pouts his lips and rolls his eyes while objecting to Kai's appreciation. He knows how sweet-tongue his husband is.

"Baby, when did I ever lied to you?" Kai asks.

When did Kai lie? Never. He never lies. Not once in their two years of marriage. Kai is the epitome of a perfect husband. Whatever promises he made, he always keeps. He never lies. Not once except...

"You said you will never leave me... you said you'll stay with me! Why? Why can't I hold you anymore?!" Sky's surroundings suddenly change to a dim light living room, only a small amount of light from the moon manages to enter through the half-open window.

The table that was once full of vibrant color food is now bowls of water and plates of pieces of bread. The house is full of cobwebs and dust, seems as if months have passed since the last time it was thoroughly clean. The image of grief and loss is evident.

Tears slowly run down his thin face. Slowly until one can hear the light sobs from him. He lowers his head and closes his fist as he pours out his painful feelings into his loud screams.

"Why?! Why did you take him away from me?" he whimpered in pain clutching into his chest, his voice fading as he added, "What wrong have I done for you to punish me this way?"

Sky screams at the top of his lungs and whispers that even he couldn't hear asking heaven the reason for his agony. His husband, the one person who devoted his life and love to him is gone.

"Why... why did you take him? It should be me. It s-should be me who died..." he chokes in between words. Crying as hard as he can.

It has been five years, five painful years of living without Kai. And in those five years, Sky has been living in the illusion of Kai being there by his side. Holding him, caressing him, and making love with him.

How could he forget such a man? The man who is full of love and integrity. The man who made him feel that the world is the best place to live in.

A cold hand enveloped Sky's back while crying, brushing his hair gently, humming a very familiar tune. "Don't cry, baby. I will always be here for you." Kai kisses him softly and continues saying, "Let's finish our meal."

This is how Kai comforted him before, this is how he remembers Kai and everything in his illusion is what he remembers Kai when he was alive. His loving husband.

Sky wipes his tears and smiles brightly, "Mm. The soup is getting cold."

They both dig into the salty soup merrily, laughing and talking about the first time they met.

When did they meet? It was during senior year when they were both chosen to be part of the basketball team. Sky was good at playing basketball while Kai was so-so but his height was fitted to be a basketball player.

Sky as the team captain trained him always before the tournament, they were fighting like cats and dogs the first time they play. "Remember when you told me I'm all height and no skills?" Kai laughs loudly recalling those memories.

"You are! Why did they even let you on the team? Tsk." Sky chuckled responding to the still-laughing man.

"Team captain is so great at teaching; I fell for him." He looks at Sky with a sweet smile on his lips, staring at him with sparkling eyes.

"You're a slut in college seducing me during training." Sky rebuts.

"Cause my baby was so charming in his red jersey, how can I not seduce such a beauty?"

Kai speaks every word in a flirty tone while biting his lower lips. Something that Sky is already familiar with. That action means something nasty.

"Oh no! don't dare bite that lip of yours."

Yes. This move, this action, these are the tactics Kai used before. Biting his lower lips, a coquettish man in his twenties.

Every time they train, Kai will not fail to make a move, to say something cheesy and flirty words to him. Unknowingly, he liked it. He's looking forward to it every day. Looking forward to seeing those beautiful innocent smiles.

"Baby, you look hot tonight." Kai the coy that he is, speaks in his breath, licking his lower lip.

"No, baby. Not tonight..." Sky half-heartedly objects to Kai's proposal.

Kai slowly stands up and walks to Sky's side, slowly and slowly he walks, his index and middle finger moving along with him at the table. Locking his target to the man in black silky pajamas.

"No. no... wait! Kai don't I still need to wash the dishes." Sky stands up too and tries to get away from the hungry beast that's trying to devour him. He runs to the bedroom wanting to close the door but Kai was already inside waiting for him.

"I know you wanted me too, baby." Kai gives him a smirk and pounces him on the bed.

He behaves and stares at the handsome face above him, Sky is in utter disbelief, how can a man such as Kai fall for him? He lifts his hand and fondle Kai's snow-white face and said, "I'm glad I met you."

Kai kisses his lips in his response.

Then, just like that, Kai disappears from his sight again.

Sky curled up in the bed, hands on his stomach while tears flow in his eyes. He weeps bitterly and painfully for the third time today.

He is exhausted already, it's been five years of living like this, living in the memories of Kai. He is aware of his condition; he is aware but is afraid to let go of that one thin thread of this memory. Afraid that if he let go, he will lose Kai forever.

Wiping his tears, he took the phone and the calling card from the table left by his mother on her last visit.

Kring! Kring!

"Hello?" a soft deep voice answered on the other line.

"I need help. Please help me. Help me forget him!"