Pipe dream

As a Psychologist, Kole is well-versed in the actions and reactions of his patients. He is well accustomed to the ways of dealing with an emotionally broken-hearted person.

Psychologists and psychiatrists are two different things. The psychiatrist provides medication but the psychologist provides psychotherapy or talk therapy. A sounding board for the people who experience the lowest point in their life.

With Sky, the first thing that comes to mind is that this person badly needs someone to pester him and listen to him. At least someone who is sincerely willing to listen and not someone who will thwack him of how pathetic he is. The first step for Sky is to slowly open his heart and accept proper consultation.

Seeing the wedding photo, the gloomy and soiled house, and the thin and dejected appearance of Sky, it's enough for him to conclude that Sky's husband left the mortal world.

Testing the water, he uttered the forbidden question, "Sky, how did he die?"

Sky, who is pouring the hot water into the freshly washed cup, froze after hearing the question. Then like a box suddenly appear around him, he said, "It's time for you to leave doctor." retorted Sky.

Kole understands then how deep sky buried himself in grief. It's not yet the right time to open such a dark and painful story.

"I'll leave after I bury this poor rat. Tsk, Sky, can you lend me gloves and..." Kole said with a worried tone. "...maybe find a box? Let's give this little one a proper burial." he smiled from ear to ear, eyes turning crescent.

Sky felt awkward. He thought that the doctor is asking about Kai. Embarrassed by what he said, Sky hastily took the gloves and give them to Kole.

"I'll... I'll look for a box."

He walks head lowered and in a balled fist. He looks around the house for an empty box but all he can see is garbage, garbage, and garbage. "Doc- doctor, I can't find a box," he said in a small voice.

"Oh! no worries, our friend here will make do with the soil." Kole smiled and take the paper placed near the frame and scoop the poor little rat.

They both went to the back of the house to bury the poor rat who might have died one or two days ago. The back of the house is full of scraps like a wild jungle with very little space left to see the earth. Kole digs a small hole, enough for the rat to fit in. Seeing that it was enough he called Sky.

"Sky, come, put our friend in," Kole said in an unhurried manner.

Sky is startled once again. His hand is placed on his left arm obvious that he is anxious; he lightly shakes his head in rejection.

Kole moves toward him and points at the rat, "but our friend would love for you to bury him." This might be too much but Sky has to do something to let go. With a pleading tone, Kole tried to make Sky bury their little friend, after a few exchanges of NO and PLEASE, Sky agreed to bury the rat.

Sky slightly shivers while walking slowly to the small hole and holding the rat in a small piece of paper. He carefully squats down and places the rat in the hole.

A memory of him during Kai's funeral overlaps while burying the rat.

It was a rainy afternoon. Rain damps his white suit and slacks; the mud was all over his white shoes. Yes, Sky was wearing his wedding suit at Kai's funeral same as Kai wears his wedding suit.

The coffin was gradually lowered but Sky only stared at it. No tears, no sobs only plain expression on his face. His mother looks at him with pity, she knew her son felt terrible but why didn't he cry? Why is he suppressing his pain?

However, Sky, in his mind, keeps on cursing at himself and the gods who didn't even spare him some pity. He hates himself for living instead of Kai. He should be the one who died not him or it would be better if both of them died that day.

"Wait for me, baby. I will follow you soon."

"Sky?"

Kole taps him on the shoulder noticing him lost in his thoughts.

Sky looks at him, his eyes lock on Kole's eyes. "Baby, have you come back for me?" he said with longingness.

His eyes a little red and blurry, he bites his lower lips and lifts his hand to touch 'Kai's' face. "Why didn't you bring me with you? Why did you leave me?" his voice is hoarse while tears flow from his cheeks, and he jumped to embrace the man in front of him. Sky placed his head on 'Kai's' chest and wrap his hands around 'Kai's' back.

Sobbing he said, "Can I follow you now? Can I die to see you now? I miss you so much, baby. Please take me with you."

Kole can only hug him in return and pat his back to calm the crying man. He can only listen for now until Sky is willing to open up and talk about his pain. This is just the first day and he is determined to help Sky find a reason to live again.

Sky should realize that Kai wants him to live a better life and not be in misery. That Kai wants him to feel love again and no heartaches.

"Sky, I'm Dr. Kole," he said softly.

As much as he wants to indulge Sky in his pipe dream, he is here with one purpose, to cure Sky, and pretending to be Kai is not the help Sky needs. Painful as it is, he must wake him up from his mistaken vision.

"Sky. Let's go back inside." Kole speaks again.

Sky loosens his embrace, raises his head, and quickly lets go of the hug. He wipes his tears and moves three steps away from Kole. "I'm sorry," he said faintly.

"It's okay. You can always talk to me and cry whenever you want. I'm all ears for you, Sky" Kole said in assuring tone.

"Doctor, can you - "

Kole already knew what he will say "Doctor can you leave now?", how many times did Sky say that in one day? He lost his count.

"Sky, my water? I'm so thirsty."

Kole didn't let him finish talking. Sky is the first person to tell him to leave for the nth time and he is amused because of it.

"Oh! water." Sky runs inside to get the now lukewarm water. Kole follows him smiling in fascination.

After drinking the water, Kole bids Sky goodbye. He doesn't want to overstay or Sky might not accept him on his next visit. Pushing Sky's limit will only result in failure and he will shut off himself from the world completely.

It was already, lunchtime and surely a lot of patients are waiting for him in his office.

Before leaving, Kole asks Sky an important question. "What food do you want to eat?"

~~~

Mini story:

Mr. Rat's life journey

Once upon a time, Mr. Rat, the tenant in Sky's house decided to chill and roam around. As he roams around the house, he saw a plate full of bread. He was happy and excited. He runs as fast as he can to taste that deliciously looking bread but poor Mr. Rat bump into a pile of books. The books fell straight to him and Mr. Rat died without tasting the bread.

We will miss you, Mr. Rat.

Sky: I don't remember having a tenant named Mr. Rat.

Mr. Rat: ( O . O )