Don't Let Go Of This Hand: Three

If you thought the waiting room was chaotic, backstage is even more so. People are running back and forth trying to prepare for the show.

Bangtan is waiting in the wings of the stage, wearing the black jerseys with their names on it over their stage outfits. It's a little nicer than the usual bibs since the jerseys don't ride up as much. You don't make a first impression twice, so you want to fully take advantage of this opportunity.

You've already sent the stage and lighting requests in advance, laid out neatly on two sheets of paper that outlined the double performance of No More Dream and We Are Bulletproof Pt 2. The same performance outline is what Bangtan had practiced and referenced relentlessly. You all made sure that all the cues and blocking were accurate on the mock stage you had taped out.

Now all that's left is to wait for the preparations to finish up and Bangtan will officially have their first ever stage rehearsal. You groan internally. They're the ones performing but you still feel like you have butterflies rioting in your stomach.

Hoseok and Namjoon are hanging back to grab some drinks from the vending machine down the hallway. Jimin and Taehyung are talking to the camera again, playing up Bangtan's debut day for laughs. Jimin is such a natural flirt in front of the camera, shifting from coy to shy with each turn of his head.

He tries to drag Yoongi and Jin into his shenanigans ("Hyungs, come play with us!" "Yah, Jimin, I'm trying to focus!"). Jimin likes teasing his hyungs without fear of retaliation when he's in front of the public.

You already know Bangtan will show their charms to the fullest, and it's a relief to have that worry off your chest.

Your constant mental tally of seven, where's seven? comes up one short and you look around for the last member. Jin, ever the vigilant mathyung, notices your gaze darting back and forth with increasing worry. He catches your eyes and points towards the side of the stage with a sheepish smile.

Jeongguk is half-hidden behind one of the blackout curtains. He's trying to get out of everyone's way but his eyes are wide as he looks at the stage.

"Jeongguk-ah," you call his name softly, walking slowly so you don't startle him. You regret that you can't muss his hair the way you usually do.

He turns to look at you. It's unbelievable how much he's changed in two years. He picks up new skills like a monster rookie, proving his competence again and again in dancing, singing or rapping. But you can still see that soft-spoken boy you'd met two years ago in those giant eyes of his.

"Nun—I mean, Manager-nim," he corrects himself. It looks like he's picked up Namjoon's habit of referring to you more formally in public. Hip-hop, etc. etc.

"Did you want some time alone? I can leave you be if that's the case. You just looked deep in thought, so I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything you needed."

"No, it's okay, you can stay," Jeongguk half-whispers. His gaze gets drawn to the movement on the stage every so often. "It's just—everything was happening so slowly and then all at once, you know?"

"Yeah," you say, crossing your arms. "I feel that."

The two of you stand in companionable silence for a while. You keep one eye on the boy near you, and the other on the shenanigans a few meters away. As long as Namjoon didn't break anything important, you count that as a win.

Jeongguk's eyes dart everywhere at once, as if trying to absorb everything new on this side of the stage. You can see the thoughts whirring around at lightning speed. It's a little terrifying how the maknae can get when he's serious.

It's when he starts gnawing at his lips that you find the need to intervene.

"Watch out for your lipstick, Jeongguk-ah," you warn teasingly. "You don't want me to bring one of the eonnis over to redo your makeup."

His prominent front teeth release their hold on Jeongguk's abused lower lip immediately. "Sorry," he says, half-whispering. "Just thinking." His hand reaches up to play absentmindedly with the chain around his neck.

Usually Jeongguk is the one who asks you for hugs, but you reach out to sling an arm around his shoulders today. You feel him tense first, and then slowly his shoulders fall from where they were hovering around his ears.

"Hey Jeongguk-ah," you say. "Have I told you recently how amazing you've been doing?"

"N-not recently, I guess," he says, looking away. Jeongguk is trying to be smooth but he sounds awkward instead.

"I remember when we met for the first time. You looked so young and your eyes were so big, trying to take everything in. I don't think you spoke a word to me once that whole day."

"No way, Manager-nim," he says petulantly. "I said stuff to you."

"You said more in five minutes meeting Namjoon than you did in the three hours we were together before that," you deadpan.

"Right after embarrassing myself," Jeongguk whines. "Why are you bringing this up today, Manager-nim?"

"I just wanted to say that I've had the chance to see you grow in the two years we've been together. You've worked so hard to become better at everything that Big Hit has thrown at you and you're still trying to learn more about the industry. I find that really humbling, Jeongguk-ah." You squeeze his shoulders for emphasis. "You're so amazing, debuting as an idol at such a young age."

Jeongguk doesn't say anything. When you look over, you can see him still facing away from you. The maknae lifts his head up to look into the bright stage lights overhead. He blinks the tears away, careful not to let his eyeliner run.

"Thank you, Manager-nim," he says hoarsely. "I'll do my best to make you proud. So you can brag to everyone and say that you're Bangtan Sonyeondan's manager."

"Don't be silly, Jeonggukkie." You can't keep the fondness from your voice even if you tried. "I'm already proud of you all."

Jeongguk only lets out a strangled noise in reply.