The Great Train Robbery

The breeze blows softly across a clear blue sky. Not a cloud in sight, only little flecks of pollen falling down to gently powder the prairie grass on the horizon. It's a wonderful day on Angel Island. The altar is quiet.

The guardian sleeps with his back leaning on which he vows to protect. It's days like these that make the whole job worthwhile. Charmy and Ray throw paper airplanes at each other in good fun.

A particularly strong gust of wind sends their planes a soar. One of which crashes right into Knuckle's face. He lifts his hand and drags the paper off of himself with a growl "HEY! Watch where the wind-"

Boiling rage comes to a sizzling halt as he reads the headline on the newspaper the plane is constructed from.

Chaos Emerald dug up out west, to make a grand journey to the Metro Museum via train. 

The article itself is speculation about the effects of chaos energy on a locomotive engine. To which Knuckles rolls his eyes. Chaos messes with electricity and magnetism, not steam. Of course it wont do anything. He pats his treasure hunting hat, firmly on his head. 

What brings him back to the boiling point is the fact that these people think they can put a chaos emerald in a museum. They're not toys or artifacts to be gawked at. Leaving them on exhibit is a horrible idea. 

Knuckles is going to put a stop to this.

The Echidna hollers to Charmy and Ray, "I have to go deal with something. You and the rest of the Chaotix are on guard duty until I return." He trots forward to the edge of the island peering into the distance.

Charmy is quick to confirm "AYE AYE CAPTAIN!"

"Charmy, you don't need to shout-" Ray pipes up.

 Before he can finish Knuckles has already taken his running jump off the island. He glides gracefully over the horizon. Gone with the whisper of the wind.

Hours pass and the color of blood orange reflects onto the clouds. An older rickety train model passes by with soft huffing. Knuckles lands himself on the roof of the caboose. Crossing his arms and closing his eyes he follows his senses in an attempt to pinpoint the location of the emerald. 

Thwack

A bird hits knuckles in the face knocking him off the edge of the roof. He manages to keep hold with one hand, dangling precariously for the world to see. A cyan warmth envelopes him like mint in the microwave.