4/Miss Malaika

There it was -- in all its glory was Carters' School of Arts and Sciences. My school. The school Dad attended and the school I had made a lot of memories with not just Mona, but my classmates. The memories flooded my mind as Mom touched my hand, snapping me out of my reverie.

"Salma," I snapped my head to face her and she pursed her lips, a small smile forming. She rubbed my hand with hers and finally showed her teeth. "I know this is a hard step for you, but I know you'll pull through." I nodded. She always knew the right things to say at the right time. She spread her arms out wide and we embraced.

"Thanks, Mom," I said, though my words were muffled from my mouth being pressed to her back. She rubbed my back, and when we pulled away, she urged me to get down. even though I was reluctant about going to school today, I knew there was no excuse for sitting at home, wallowing in my self-pity and grief.

"I'll be going for my antenatal, so I may pick you up early today, but if not, I'll just call the driver to pick you up," I nodded and she told me to have a nice day. I stepped out of the car, and she sped off, waving at me. I turned to look at the front gates of the school where I would spend at least three or four months in.

As I was stepping into the school building to pay for my books and take my course outline I felt a million eyes making holes in the back of my head with their stares. I heard whispers and saw a few shaking their heads. Just as I had thought, the day had already started on a 'sympathetic' note and I wasn't even in class!

"I should have stayed at home," I whispered to myself, trying to ignore the stares I got. I took a sharp turn to the administration block where students and parents had gathered at the secretary's table for their fees and course outlines. I joined the queue and busied myself with my phone. That was until I felt someone staring directly at me. I felt the shadow of the person's frame on my face. I looked up from my phone and was surprised to see the headmistress smiling at me.

"Salma, how have you been?" Mrs Lisa asked, crossing her arms over her chest. She was wearing the official attire for the staff of Carters' School of Arts and Sciences -- a white Lacoste and a pair of grey pants which stopped above her feet. Her hair was in a ponytail, and her grey eyes were transfixed on mine.

"I've been... fine, Mrs Lisa," I responded, rubbing my neck. What could she possibly want from me? Or was she going to 'officially' extend her condolences like everyone was doing? I moved two steps ahead as the line shortened in front of me. The woman, who was the same height as me, moved in step with me.

Whatever this woman wanted to say, it better be worth this! I thought to myself, trying to resist lashing out at her.

"I heard what happened to your father," she stopped and shook her head, dropping it. "It's so sad you and Janet have to go through the pain of losing such a great man."

"Umm... yeah." I wanted to make this faster so she would just get out of my hair. Could she just cut to the chase? The memories I was trying to push back of my father, came resurfacing, all thanks to this woman!

"He donated towards the Dynasty Quiz every year, and we were hoping this year would be no exception. But seeing as he's no more, and Janet is there, the school was wondering if you could uh," she stopped, plastering her forefinger on her thin lips, probably in an attempt to find the right words to say. "continue the tradition?'

My eyebrow raised at her question. Opportunistic much! My hands clenched into fists, as Dad's words of always helping out his alma mater played through my head like a broken record. Her words and fake sympathy made me want to rip my hair out. It took all my self-control to stop myself from saying anything.