𝙽𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚊 #𝟺 - 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙺𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙼𝚘𝚘𝚗

¹      

     I often equated loving Lycus Sebastian Malfoy to the ocean. Pure and deep and steady. All-encompassing and wide and freeing. Unfailing in every possible way.

     But if loving Bas was the ocean, Lucius was the storm.

     He was rage, fury, thunder. Destruction and death.

     No, he never killed anybody himself. He will have his fair share of torture and tormenting in the years to come, but there is no blood on his hands. It was his heart that craved unrest. It actively seeked to destroy goodness and virtue — or at least that which was not dictated by people like his family.

     Strange things started happening halfway through our Sixth Year. Students were occasionally missing from class for days. Word had it that they had been sent home for emergencies. When they came back, they told their friends there had been an accident. Their parents were dead. Many of their parents were Muggle-borns.

     I never thought to ask because these children stayed far away from most of the Slytherins for fear of being mocked or ridiculed, so whatever I knew was only through the grapevine.

     Consequently, the string of incidents seemed to dowse the Pure-bloods in a boldness never seen before. The professors tried their best to curb the bullying, but there was only so much they could do. The worst of it happened behind the closed doors of the Common Rooms or bathrooms. The boys were merciless with their jinxes and the girls were cutthroat in their taunts. The hospital wing began to fill quickly with Muggle-borns sporting broken noses and bruised heads, jelly-legs or a case of nonsensical babbling.

     They did not take it lying down, however. While the string of dead parents seemed to bestow the Pure-bloods with a distorted sense of superiority, it also gave the Half-bloods and Muggle-borns the final push of courage they needed. They fought back with equal determination — talked back, hit back, hexed back. There was news of uprisings and violence from parts of Britain, but we barely paid attention. A war of our very own had broken out in our Eden, and everyone wanted a piece of it.

     Lucius came to me one day. "There's a society," he said with an urgency I've never heard before. "Only for magic folk like us. I've been invited."

     He had recently fallen into the habit of boasting about the exclusive activities and clubs he'd been invited to instead of his brother, and I wasn't even sure I cared at that point. "What do they do?" I asked absently.

     "What has to be done," was his simple reply.

     His words chilled me to the bone. There was an excited gleam in his eye, and a dark passion in his smile that left me with a sinking feeling in my stomach, like I was drowning without even knowing.

     One day during Defence, I was summoned to the Dumbledore's office. I had not done anything wrong or spoken out of turn, and I wondered what in the world the Headmaster wanted with me. 

     Admittedly, I did not like the him very much. Having been a Gryffindor himself, he bore an undeniable favouritism towards the House of the Brave. They had the lion's share of his attention, leaving the other three with not much else.

     "I want you to keep a close eye on Lucius Malfoy," he said from behind his desk. I stood there dumbfounded, wondering if I'd heard him wrong.

     "It has come to my attention that Mr. Malfoy has been involving himself in certain extracurricular activities outside of classes," Dumbledore went on. "It is my job to ensure the safety of school, and so I would like you, Ms. Black, as a close affiliate of his, to keep yourself most aware of these pursuits, and to make me equally so."