𝟕𝟖 - 𝐓𝐢𝐜𝐤, 𝐭𝐨𝐜𝐤, 𝐀𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐲

The name echoes in my head, in tempo with the hypnotic ticking of the clock above the fireplace.

     Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

     Draco. Draco. Draco. Draco. Draco. Draco.

     Leaping in my mind, concomitant with my breaths and the pounding in my ears.

     Lucius is holding my gaze with unrelenting steadiness, daring me to challenge their decisions. Narcissa is looking away as if I have just said something indecent, even though it is Lucius who last spoke, and I have not said a word since. 

     I don't know how to. My eyes have clouded over. A tangle of nettles had settled in my throat. 

     Lucius throws a glance at the clock. "If you will excuse me, Gabriella," he says, getting to his feet. "I have a fairly important meeting with Selwyn. My hearing begins at five." 

     What hearing? I have nearly forgotten about the ongoing trials for the abuse. I nod dumbly, unable to unseal my lips. 

     He picks up his cane, leans heavily on it, and pauses. Just as I think he is about to say something, he sighs, and wordlessly leaves the room. 

     Narcissa fiddles with her hands, her expression imploring me to say something. 

     When the door shuts behind Lucius, I manage to find my voice, the gall. "Were you lying?" I ask. 

     "Excuse me?" 

     "Were you lying? About the baby being Bas's." 

     She stares at me for a long time. "No." 

     Neither of us say anything. Five seconds pass. Ten. 

     "Narcissa," I say. "Forgive me, but I would like to know something. When was the last time you told Draco you love him?" 

     The question stuns her. Her small lips break open, a fresh bud in spring. "I- I-um—" 

     "You do love him, don't you?" 

     "I am his mother." 

     "I know," I say, gently. "I asked if you love him." 

     "Yes," she says. The word is reluctant, withheld. She adds, "I put my life on the line for him. He knows I would do anything to protect him. Anything."

     "Then why did you let those things happen to him? How could you just stand by and watch your husband do all those things to a child? Your child. Why didn't you fight back?" 

     "The same reason you don't." 

     I recoil as if she has just slapped me across the face. The air is sucked out of the room, leaving only a grey vacuum. 

     Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

     I don't get a chance to respond. She stands up suddenly. "Come with me," she says. "I want to show you something." 

༻❁༺

     The rows of white French doors flank us like soldiers as we walk down the tunnel-like hallway. The room at the end of the line is exactly like the others. Tall, white, carved with patterns one can only find in homes of this caliber. 

     As we near it, however, I notice that the gold knob plate had rusted, the keyhole caked with dust. From her pocket Narcissa retrieves her wand and waves it at the lock. There is a soft clack, and the doors crack ajar. With two hands she pushes them open, and I give a small gasp of surprise.