Midnight Sun

Disclaimer: I do not own Attack on Titan or this story.

Previously: Erwin thinks Historia has become queen but wants solid proof first. The rookies think it would have been nice if Erwin had received the serum if he wasn't already dead.

|~|

The Colossal Titan's blackened body steamed at the base of the inner gate.

Slowly, Eren shifted his dazed eyes to his best friend. The moisture had almost completely evaporated from the blackened body, the lips having pulled back. The flesh still sizzled.

Not real. It's not real. Mikasa held on to that thought and took comfort in it. She would make sure this scenario didn't repeat. But that horrible cooking sound would forever survive in her head somewhere to torture her another day.

"I should've known this would happen," Eren said sadly, closing his eyes, head bowed. Next to him, Bertolt lay unconscious and healing. "But I had no other choice but to rely on you, Armin." Tears gathered at the corners of his eyes. "Why don't you run away?"

"Cause he's a big-balled, brave bastard," Connie said, making them laugh and hoot in agreement.

Armin ducked his head in embarrassment, feeling some pride.

A loud noise came from behind Eren. Gasping, he looked back to see Zeke and the Cart Titan.

"A Titan?"

"Can he transform again?" Petra really hoped not.

"Just run!" Historia said urgently.

"But take Bertolt with you!" Jean said at the same time.

Or just take him out. Levi thought. That would be faster.

The Cart Titan began to hop from roof to roof.

"Shit!" Eren grabbed Bertolt and held his sword at the boy's neck as the Cart Titan landed on his roof. "You just try coming closer! Make one move to take him and he's dead!" Eren glared at Zeke. What's that? He's got Titan marks around his eyes. Is he the Beast Titan?!

Zeke's expression twisted. "Are you…Eren Yeager?"

Ymir looked on curiously. What's with that face he's making?

Is it my imagination, Hange wondered, or does Zeke seem... She didn't know how to put it. But it was not a look someone gave his enemies. He seemed in shock at first, but then he looked longing and in pain.

This is bad. Eren dug his sword into Bertolt's neck. I have to kill Bertolt—

"You look nothing like your father."

"What?"

Eren does take almost completely after his mother. Including, Armin thought, his tendency of being quick to anger.

"Believe me, I know what you're going through. We're both victims of your father. You've been brainwashed by him," Zeke said and his face was replaced by Grisha's.