CHAPTER 36

Track 26: Welcome to New York (3:04)

Lauren POV

I: Can we talk? I want to make sure we are in good condition before the start of my program.

Me: Camila, please. I think we both said things we didn't want to say.

Me: Can you at least send me a message back so I know you read my messages?

***

I updated my inbox for the umpteenth time, expecting a response from Camila, but there was nothing. Since she dropped me off at Gayle's that night, she kept her bedroom door closed and ignored all my messages. The few times we crossed the kitchen, she barely looked at me and when I tried to join her in the hot tub, she immediately left and went to the room.

"Miss Jauregui?" The guide's voice made me lift my eyes off my phone.

"Yes?"

"We're approaching Times Square, so you can take some pictures." He smiles from the front seat of the executive car. "This is probably the only time you can enjoy it before starting the program. You will be too busy with work. Trust me."

I sighed and raised my phone, taking several pictures of the bright and flashy billboards. I sent them all to Camila, hoping it would catch her attention, but it didn't.

"Our next stop on our private tour before campus will be Wall Street," the guide said. "We'll see a lot of amazing things along the way, but you'll see why the people who come here never want to leave."

I wanted to leave as soon as it was over...