Chapter 9

"Who do you think it was?" Lydia asks, her arms crossing as she looks over at Magnus.

Alec had insisted that they call over a group from the Institute to inform them that Magnus had been targeted. So now here stands Lydia, Isabelle, and Jace in Magnus' living room. 

Magnus sighs. He hadn't wanted everyone to be crowding around him with a worried look on their faces all because he almost died. But Alexander had asked, and Magnus can't say no to him. "It could have been anybody. I might not have even been the intended for me." He looks at Lydia's unamused face before continuing, "but if you want a name for who I think it might've been- and I could be wrong- but Kaz Gallagher. They were by me the whole time; could've easily slipped the poison into my drink."

Lydia nods. "Kaz Gallagher," she repeats.

Magnus leans over to Alec. "I don't like ratting out my own kind," he mutters to the Shadowhunter. And he really doesn't. As much as he knows it'll help or whatever, he still doesn't like it. 

Alec copies Magnus and leans closer to the warlock before whispering, "I know, but it's so whoever did it can be dealt with."

"We'll talk to them, see if they know anything. If they did it, we'll take Kaz in, let the Clave deal with them. If they didn't, we'll try to see if they know who did," Lydia says, already forming a plan. 

"Lydia?" 

The blonde Shadowhunter looks over at Alec when he says her name. "Yes?" Her always serious voice has a hint of curiosity in it when she asks this question. 

"Can we speak alone?" Alec asks. 

Magnus casts a confused look over at Alexander but doesn't say anything. Across from him, Lydia shrugs. "Sure.." 

Showing Lydia away from the others, Alec walks to his guest room with Lydia following behind him. When they arrive, Alec walks in the room and closes the door once the other walks in after him. Alec turns to Lydia, sighs, and then starts speaking. "I've spent a week here with Magnus. And doing so, I've realized something. I've realized that I need to follow my heart." 

Lydia gives a small, sad smile. "Well, let's not forget where that got me." Lydia, as she has told Alec, fell in love a little while back. She and John... They had a wonderful relationship. But of course, they were both Shadowhunters. John died out on the field while he was engaged to Lydia. 

"I can't bring John back," Alec goes on. "Our families have been strong allies and we can use that to our advantage. Together, we can restore my family name and keep the Institute." A smile crosses Alec's face. He had been thinking about this plan ever since Magnus first told him about Alec's need for a mate. "When my wings are fully grown, I'll need a mate. And Lydia Branwell, I want you to be my mate. By connecting on that level, we can put an end to our families struggles." 

Day 10 of Alec staying with Magnus rolls around. Alec's wings were now almost as long as he is tall. It's strange having that new weight on his back. In fact, the Shadowhunter has lost his balance many times, but he's slowly getting used to it. At the base of his wings, skin has already healed over and the first signs of feathers are starting to show; although none have appeared yet. 

Lydia had agreed to Alec's idea of becoming  his mate. And Alec is thrilled. He gets to make his family proud now, he gets to do good. 

What "Day 10" also brings, is sickness. Not anything life-threatening, just a sickness similar to the stomach bug. And Alec is not enjoying it. He lays on the couch, a blanket pulled tightly over him, his bone wings hanging off the side of the couch and a metal bowl by his side in case he has to throw up, which he has a few times.