Chapter 11

//TW of internalized homophobia and description of blood\\

Alec's wings are getting close to being fully grown. His feathers, still golden and bright, have filled in more.  And, no, don't ask if he's tried flying yet. Truth be told, he's a bit nervous to try that and has been putting it off until later. For all he knows, he'll have plenty of time to work on that kind of stuff later.

It had gotten late, New York time, when Alec and Magnus finally returned from watching the sunset in Scotland. They had stayed hours after the sun disappeared, huddled together in the cool night as Magnus pointed out stars and their names, as well as the myths behind each of them. Alec had listened to him the entire time, occasionally adding a story of his own when he could.

A few days had passed since then. Alec is nearing the end of his stay at Magnus' and he can tell the warlock isn't very happy about it. It's kind of funny how close they had gotten in such a short time. Alec never thought he could trust a person like Magnus Bane, but here he is. And he doesn't mind it at all. Magnus is nice to hang around with. He gets busy at times, a bit too flirty at others, but now Alec doesn't really mind it. By the Angel, he almost enjoys it. Keyword being almost.

Magnus confuses Alec. The warlock makes Alec want to flip of everything and just start a new, better life. Magnus makes Alec happy and makes him feel calm, grounded. But Alec knows he can't— shouldn't be feeling that way around a male Downworlder. He's a Lightwood, the oldest Lightwood who's next in line to take over. He's supposed to keep his priorities (and his sexuality) straight. But he can't.

First crush he ever had was Jace. Now, had that turned out to go in the direction Alec would've hoped, it may have been alright. Maybe a bit difficult, but alright. He and Jace are both Shadowhunters after all. Cut to the present, Alec is older. He's had a few more "crushes", but they were all small ones. None of them ever clicked.

Alec, when he first realized that liking guys wasn't the normal thing, he started thinking something was wrong with him. Something had to be wrong with him! He should like girls like every other boy his age. Alec absolutely hated himself for the fact that he wasn't what he thought to be normal. Young Alexander had worked so hard to impress his parents, present time Alec still does do his best. Since then, Alec has been battling it out with himself. He's not as upset as he was when he first found out his parents wanted him to like girls.

But now, Alec can forget all of that. He's going to be mated to Lydia Branwell. He'll impress his parents, help them out and save the family name, without them ever knowing that he's gay. It's a perfect plan.

Alec is passed out asleep in the guest room when the door slams open. The Shadowhunter, being a light sleeper, jumps awake in his bed.

Magnus is standing in the doorway. He's in his pajamas and looks like he just woke up, based on the fact that he isn't wearing his normal amount of makeup. "Alexander, get up. The Circle has found us. We're under attack."

This got Alec out of his bed in seconds. "Fight them off?" He suggests, knowing that since this is Magnus' apartment, the warlock should be the one picking what they do.

"Yes. We fight them off together," says Magnus. "I can feel them entering the apartment building. We've got about five minutes before they arrive. I'd say there's about ten of them."

Alec nods, already grabbing a seraph blade and his bow and arrow. "Two v ten?" He repeats. Alec looks at Magnus. "I like those odds."

The warlock smiles at him. "Let's go."

Moving quickly, Alec and Magnus work to prepare themselves for the incoming Circle members. Knowing they're about to arrive gives the pair the high ground. Magnus stands closer to the door, Alec father back with his bow drawn. Had they had more time to prepare, Magnus would have gladly set up the whole 'Home Alone' act, but that can't be pulled off in the short time that is given.