Part 5

Virgil starts the walk to school with guilt weighing heavy in his stomach. He finishes off his fruit grain bar and is just starting on his coffee when he sees Patton waiting at the corner with Virgil's backpack in their hand.

"Oh my god, Pat." He gasps out, after taking the short sprint to close the distance between them. "You are a literal life saver."

He then has t resists the visceral urge to huge the bubbly teen when he sees their smile.

"Oh it's no problem, really!" H̶e̶-̶t̶h̶e̶y̶, should probably ask right?, cheer.

Patton starts to go on about... something, but Virgil is too busy stressing about Patton's pronouns to really pay attention.

I should probably just ask right? That's probably the best way, but god it's so awkward "hey what pronouns are you today?" Really Virgil?! You can do better than that, but if I just assume, then I could offend Patton that has to be considered a war crime or something. But then again-

"-irgil? Virgil? Virgil!"

"Ah-!" Patton snaps Virgil out of his quickly spiraling thoughts.

"What's wrong, Virgil? Thought I lost you for a minute." H̶e̶-̶t̶h̶e̶y, Patton- Jesus Christ- asks, with a genuinely worried look on their cute face.

"Oh, it's, uh- you know, it's nothing." He looks down at his coffee. "Sorry to worry you."

He tries to shrug it off but Patton isn't having it. "Now c'mon, I know that isn't true. You can tell me!!"

Fuck, it should be illegal for anyone to be this cute. "Aaage- fine!! Jesus, stop makin' that face at me- fuck!" He takes a long drink of his coffee, hoping Patton would think his flushes face was because of the chill in the air. "I was... trying to find a way to, y'know ask about your pronouns without being... weird about it."

He yanks his head down so quickly, he might have whiplash, when he catches sight of Patton's beaming smile.

"Aww Virgey!!!" The teen gushes. "That's so sweet of you!!"

When Virgil risks a glance up at Patton, he nearly goes into cardiac arrest at how wide Patton's smile is and how touched they look.

"It's really not a big deal." He huffs, echoing Patton's words from earlier. "I'm just trying to like- respect you and shit. You don't have to get all this about it."

Fuck, can he even get more awkward, jeez.

Patton squeals and does a spin-and-armshake combo before facing Virgil again. "Well, since you so kindly asked, Virgey! Today, my pronouns are they- no." They(?) suddenly stop talking, staring off into space for a few seconds before rebooting like nothing happened. "He/she today I think... yeah that's good today."

Virgil nods decisively, "He/she, go it."

She giggles before turning on his heel, continuing to lead the way to the school. Virgil smiles as he starts talking about what she is excited about doing for this year. He sips on his coffee, finding he enjoys the sound of Patton's voice almost as much as he does his own music.

He takes another gulp of his coffee to hide the, undoubtedly, disgustingly sappy smile behind the lid to his cup as they arrive at school.

Patton immediately gets swooped up by Roman. He asks Patton for his pronouns in the midst of several kisses all around her face and twirling him around like a princess.

Logan acknowledges Patton's exclamation of "He/she!" with a smile and a soft kiss to his forehead while Roman starts on about how Patton his the fairest princess in the land and he will fight for Patton's honor.

Virgil sits down next to Logan, who is rubbing the side of his ribs with a wince, as he soaks in their loving display.

He tries not to feel melancholy because I will never have something like this. Not like they have, not like this. And then, a startling thought crosses his mind, Fuck, I want to be with them. He spares a glance to Patton, giggling at Roman as he sings a song in Spanish that Virgil doesn't know, and then to Logan who shifts in his seat with the softest fucking smile on his face has he watches his partners. all of them. Fuck- shit!

The bell rings for first period.

---------------------------------------------------
720 words!

I know I focus a lot on Patton's pronouns in this chapter and nothing really gets done, but I think it was necessary to Virgil's character that he gets over his squiky-ness about asking pronouns. I am a trans person myself and I hate asking pronouns bc I always feel awkward doing it, but that's just probably me.

Anyways, thanks for reading!! I'll see you next time my lovelies!! Comments give me life! PEACE OUT!!