Chapter 15 - Not Quite In Charge

We jumped apart and scanned for the threat.

The crew emerged from behind the wheelhouse. Connor standing front and center as if he wasn't just dying of a stab wound an hour ago. The clouds separated, light shone onto the deck.

Though Connor was soaking wet from rain that had yet to diminish completely, he stood in a fine suit, leaning on a sheathed sword. Behind him stood the twins, Albert and George, along with Rob, Crank, and Teenie. Raven stood behind them all, glaring onto the floor.

I sucked in a breath.

Connor didn't look at me, his attention focused on the Captain. "Well, Captain. Or should I say Blake? It seems you're not quite in charge anymore."

Blake's jaw clenched, he glared down to where Connor and the traitors stood, but he did not respond.

"You see, Blake. I don't seem to be the only one on board who agrees it's time for a change in positions. Connor's sharp gaze lands on me, "Eliana."

I take a page from Blake's book and don't respond. Sharpening my features in a fierce look. I may be afraid but I will not show it.

This seems to hurt Connor. "Eliana, do you actually think I would hurt you?" He stood straighter, no longer leaning on the sword, he unsheathed it, "I know you and Blake have been getting closer, but I won't let that change my mind. You can be a pirate, El. On my crew. You'll be free of the land, free of having to prove yourself. We will accept you since Blake can't. Forget him, and come to me." Connor reached his hand out to me.

I replayed his words in my head and thought about what he was prepositioning. I look at the rest of the crew, all willing to take me in even before all this. I technically still wasn't even officially a second mate, but with them it would be different. I thought about how Oleson said over throwing wasn't uncommon. I also thought about how he said a loyal pirate wouldn't leave their Captain's side.

I glanced at Blake who wasn't even looking at me. His face was schooled to mask his emotions, but the tight fists his hands were making it clear what he thought my decision would be. I thought about what would happen if I left him. He'd surely die. Odds of which, however, wouldn't increase dramatically if I stayed.

My lips still tingled from our kiss. The rain stopped falling. I turned back to Connor.

"Over my dead body."

Connor's hand dropped to his side. "Stupid woman, distracted by her stupid emotions. You'll change your mind soon enough however."

He jerked his head, "Drop your weapons. Boys, take your former Captain and his Queen to the cells," his glare cut into us, "Don't even think about fighting. I'll have your throats slit before you could try."

I looked at Blake, hoping he'd have a semblance of an idea for what to do. His eyes found mine but he shook his head. He did not want us to fight right now. Slowly he began to remove every weapon on his person; two small daggers and a wrench.

I took a little longer, the four blades I keep in my boots, one of which is Blake's midnight blue blade. From my corset I pulled two thin daggers. I hesitated on the last weapon, a combat knife strapped to my thigh. I access it through a hole in my trousers' pockets.

"I hate to admit this amongst other people, when I truly wished to whisper it to you while we were alone, but I've watched you get dressed Eliana."

I shiver in disgust at Connor's comment. My face portrayed my revulsion. He continued his creepy confession, "I've seen you strap that knife so many times, dearie. Now, hand it over. You can have it back when you're no longer pretending to be loyal to Blake."