Chapter 1: Breached

I still couldn't believe my brother was gone. The world had lost Superman and now the world was being guarded by his cousin Kara and Stargirl, who were also mourning his loss.

Looking through my dad's journal that had been written in Kryptonese – my brother's native language – I tried to decipher everything that was written and I was succeeding – somewhat – but my knowledge was limited in a lot of areas.

It was odd that my dad had written on his journal in Kryptonese, an alien language, as opposed to a human language like either English, Arabic, French, or even Turkish – all languages I knew he understood and spoke.

"What's going on?" asked Lois, walking into the living room.

"Nothing, just trying to decipher this journal of my dad's."

"How far are you in your Kryptonese?"

"Probably about as good as my Japanese, which is not perfect or good for that matter" I tossed the journal on the coffee table.

"You really miss him, don't you?"

"Every single day" I felt my eyes watering. "He would take me flying so I could see the world from way up there."

"I know. He used to take me too" she smiled but noticing how her eyes were tearing up. "I'm sorry. I'm still very emotional especially because the twins will never know their father or the hero he was."

"I live with that every single day. Sometimes I wonder how either of us will respond to them when they ask about him."

"I wonder the same thing. Especially the part about him being Superman" Lois looked like she was on the verge of more tears but was clearly trying to suppress them.

"Good point. But, I guess there's time to prepare for that."

"That there is" she sighed.

Then I realized I had to tell her my plans and my intention to leave the States.

"Lois...there's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?"

"I don't know how to say it but, I'm going back to Lebanon."

"When?"

"In a couple of days. I miss my family and with Clark now gone, Aunt Martha a wreck as a result, and my biological mom who being knows where, I have nothing left for me here."

"I'm going to miss you" she hugged me.

"I'm going to miss you too Lolo."

"I love it when you call me Lolo" she chuckled.

"Well, in Arabic you know what Lolo means?"

"What?" she smiled.

"It means Pearl. But another variation is Lulwah."

"That's beautiful. I'm fascinated by your language."

"Thank you. It's a complicated one but a beautiful and poetic one as well."

"I know" she chuckled. "Anyway, I'm gonna go rest upstairs. Had a long day at the Gazette. As you know, a reporter's job never ends."

"But you have to remember to take care of yourself as well."

"I will!"

She yawned and headed back upstairs.

I sat there, wondering what more I could do to help Lois before I left. I felt guilty for even thinking about leaving but at the same time, I needed a fresh start and wanted to go back and start anew.

It was dark and cool outside, which was probably the perfect time to go out for a motorcycle ride. I needed to clear my head and I knew staying stuck inside was not going to do me any huge favors either.

Slipping on my helmet, I grabbed my backpack, tossed all my necessities like my phone and wallet, and away I rode.

Riding through some of the desolate streets of Smallville felt good. It was usually quiet around these areas but once you got into the town area where all the businesses were located, that was where the crowd boomed.

The air was crisp and breezy and I loved it. In some ways, this breeze reminded me of the times I would visit my cousins in Beirut and we would walk by the Corniche Beirut where the Rock of Raouché was visible, which was also known as the Pigeon's Rock.

Heck, even Clark flew me over there from time to time since he knew I missed my country, my people, and my family. Not to mention our food, music, and culture.

Suddenly I noticed that there was someone in the center of the road. He or she was still at a distance. Then I noticed its hands raised and they began to emit a strange green glow that looked almost like green kryptonite. It began to shoot at me and I attempted to maneuver my motorcycle so that I could evade the energy blows. Then all of a sudden I made a quick maneuver that ended with me falling off.

He was wearing a helmet that also acted as a mask. He tried to charge at me and in turn, I tried to blast him with my sonic scream, but for some reason, it wasn't working. He landed a punch to the face and realized he was likely carrying some kind of power dampener.

I punched him but he returned the punch and landed right on my scooter. I continued trying to take him down but he was too strong and too well equipped.

We continued to wrestle with one another. When I realized this was beyond what I could handle, I jumped on my motorcycle and rode away as fast as I could. He kept shooting at me and then suddenly a blue portal of some sort opened up in front of me. I tried to go around it but somehow I was unable to evade it and got sucked right into it.

***

Waking up, it was super early in the morning. The air was really cold and felt the dew drops on the grass I was lying on. I looked over and saw my motorcycle lying on the grass. I was relieved it was in one piece and hoped that it was still functional.

Then memories of last night's encounter began to resurface but I could not fully recall everything.

I grabbed my helmet and rode away. Something felt off as I rode through the road and headed back home. It was the same but something was different at the same time and I could not point my finger at it.

Arriving at the farm, I watched as Lois stepped out of the house. Then I noticed two teenage boys that were roughly about fifteen or sixteen, then I was instantly taken aback when I saw him standing next to her.

It was Clark and somehow he was alive?

I pressed the brake and took a mean halt. How could this be? How could my brother be alive when I watched him die?

Clark looked over in my direction and I stared at him. Even from a distance, I could see his face very clearly, the dark hair, and the clear green eyes that were covered with the glasses that protected his identity.

We looked at each other for a long time and while I knew who he was, it was obvious he did not know who I was.

I jump-started my motorcycle, made a Uey, and took off.

***

The second chapter is posted! Check it out :)