Chapter 2: Monday

Today was Kelly and John's first day at Jocelyn Elementary School. Kelly's teacher was Ms. Lush, a very friendly and respectful teacher. Even when the children screamed and did things like that, Ms. Lush wouldn't yell and punish everyone like Kelly's old teachers back at Justice E.S. Instead, Ms. Lush would simply ring a bell until everyone did the 'quiet coyote' signal. First, they'd do math, and then they'd go to specialist. Since today was Monday, it was P.E today. All of the students loved to play Crab Soccer. The four teams were: Bees, Butterflies, Lemonade and Milk. The themes were drinks and insects. Kelly and the other kids liked that idea. They all giggled hysterically when they heard the gym teacher, Mrs. Johnson, say that. A boy named Stanley was #1. A girl named Monique was #2. A girl named Grace was #3, and Kelly was #4. Kelly and Grace were sitting next to each other. Kelly was super surprised when Grace asked how she was doing. "Fine, thank you," Kelly replied nervously, "um.. how about you?" "I'm doing great. Thanks!" Grace exclaimed, "wanna be friends?" Kelly's mouth hung open. "YES!" She shouted. And Grace and Kelly became the bestest of friends.

After P.E, Kelly introduced herself. "I'm Kelly Garcia! I am a skilled speller and writer and my parents love me!!" Everyone clapped and whistled for her. "Nice job!" Grace whisper shouted. "Thanks," Said Kelly. Soon it was time for Lunch, and there was a salad bar, fruits, vegetables, raisins, and then of course there would be today's lunch: mini corn dogs! There was also chocolate and vanilla pudding, and then kids could choose either regular milk or chocolate milk. Kelly chose to have chocolate milk, vanilla pudding, raisins, a big, red, juicy apple, a banana and an orange. Then she'd go to the counter and lift her tray up for the lunch ladies so they can put on the mini corn dogs.

The playground had 5 slides total, 2 swing sets (each had 4 swings), ladders, a giant climbing tower, and even those little wheel thingies you can steer. Grace has 4 other friends besides Kelly: James, Lily, Alexa and Samantha. So now, there was a glorious friendship of 6! They played hide and seek tag until the bell rang after 45 minutes. "At my old school, recess only lasted for 15 minutes!" Kelly told her new friends. "Wow," said Grace, "wow. I feel sorry for you, Kelly! Kids deserve more fun, exercise, and play time!" "I know right?" Kelly agreed. "We have another recess today that lasts 15 minutes." Grace explained. "Wow, cool!" Kelly exclaimed.

"Please take out your books, class!" Ms. Lush said softly. She held Kelly's hand and walked her over to all the books. "Choose whatever you think is challenging for you." Ms, Lush smiled. Kelly ended up choosing 'Pizza Pizza!'. Grace's book was called 'Froggy the Toad'. Eventually, everyone put away their books, including Grace and Kelly. Soon, Kelly got her very own journal to write in. However, she wasn't a very skilled speller and writer like she said she was. The first sentence she wrote was: 'I luv Grass!!' even though she meant to write 'I love Grace!!'.

When Kelly finally got home, she knew her mother was right. Kelly DID like her school.