"You'll Only Appreciate Them When They're Gone" - Zhongli x Childe

By: -dazchu

They were both caught up by their emotions; one of them, tears falling down his eyes. He loved him, but the other didn't seem to reciprocate his feelings.

"Why... Why are you still finding her?"

"...It's not like that-"

"Then what is it!? She's gone! She isn't coming back!! Don't expect her to..."

Silence filled the room they were in. Their only light came from the bright moon in the sky, shining through the window. A tear started to fall down Zhongli's cheeks.

"I'm the one who's here, I'm the one who's with you at this very moment... so, why can't you find yourself to love me? You never did, did you...?"

"No, Childe. Of course I did."

"It didn't seem like it. Everytime we touch, you think of her, everytime we hug, you think of her, everytime we kiss, you think of her... It had always been Guizhong..."

"She isn't all I think of, she... is but a beautiful memory of my past."

"Then prove it. Prove to me that you loved me even for a second."

Childe finished his sentence and the next thing he knew, Zhongli was gently hugging him. This warmth, it felt genuine to the both of them. They stayed like that for a time.

"I promise, I will stay by your side... and learn to love you."

For Childe, it was enough of an answer.

Who would've thought that their time together was cut short.

...

Oh, how I wish I could turn back time; to right my mistakes...

"Childe!! No... you can still make it, I will bring you somewhere and get you treated-"

"Ha, there's no need... Look at you getting all, agh, worried." He was panting and to Zhongli, he felt weak. Blood was gushing through his mouth. He's lost too much and Zhongli couldn't handle it. He was about to bring Childe to an inn of some sort to treat him but despite his condition, he stopped him.

"Hey, we both know I won't last long, don't push it. Looks like the effects of my delusion became worse this time..."

"But... Childe-"

"I know you've done your best. I was forcing you to love someone you never did. Now, I won't force you any longer."

"Childe, no, I... learned to love again... I let go of her, she wouldn't want to see me sulking over her. I... learned to love you. Please, don't leave me like she did."

Tears were flowing down their cheeks. Childe was using all the strength he had left to say the words he'd always wanted to hear from the other.

"I love you."

A smile formed on his face before he closed his eyes. One last tear rolled down his cheek. Zhongli hugged the ginger as he layed lifeless on his lap. He couldn't help but feel melancholic when he realized that... this was too similar to when she died. Another precious person that he treasured, gone. He knew the corpse he was hugging wouldn't be able to hear his words but all that mattered was that he says them.

"I love you too, Childe..."

I promised to be by your side... but you ended up leaving mine instead.

Hey, uh, sorry for not publishing so much. I've been busy with other stories I'm publishing so my presence may not be present.