Chapter Fifteen: Too Close To The Sun

Although humans were physically inept lifeforms, Rahn was quite impressed to see what they were capable of when united

Cars were smashed along the streets, shop fronts were torn open with their contents spewed about, and a trail of bodies linked it all together. The Parasite must have leeched dozens of people to achieve this level of strength.

From what Rahn could tell, their conditions varied from barely alive to dead. This creature, this Parasite, had piqued Rahn's interest. To be able to instantly absorb the energy and memories of other lifeforms on physical contact...it was extremely formidable. She needed to learn more.

"I have found the trail," Rahn reported. "Counting twenty five casualties. Calling for paramedic teams to respond."

As Rahn used her suit to contact emergency services, Bruce's voice replied to her, "Hold position. Do not engage."

With a scoff, Rahn ignored her human partner. His overly paranoid outlook was beginning to grow tiresome. As a Trynkaden, Rahn was one of the most powerful beings on the entire planet. This wasn't a matter of pride or self-confidence, it was a fact. Some human mutant was not going to pose a threat to her.

Rahn shut the channel down and proceeded deeper into the destruction.

There was no real logic to the damage here. Almost as if a wild animal, a creature with no higher brain function, was running rampant. Or...the perpetrator was deliberately trying to attract attention.

More and more bodies appeared as Rahn emerged in an open town square. An immense lifeform that stood 8 feet tall held a car over its head. Its skin was mottled purple, its eyes vivid green.

It tossed the vehicle into a police barricade, smashing through the patrol cars as if they were toys.

The Parasite turned to the approaching Rahn. It's eyes pulsated with excitement.

Suddenly, Bruce's voice flooded Rahn's ears. "What the hell are you doing? Get out of there, now!"

"You should not be concerned for my safety."

"I couldn't care less about you! Now just listen--"

The conversation was cut short when the Parasite leapt into the air with the strength of 50 men combined. He was headed directly for Rahn, arms outstretched.

Rahn's arm flashed outward and snatched Parasite by the neck like he was moving in slow motion. "Surrender," she commanded.

Parasite seized Rahn's wrists. Its mouth peeled open and it lunged forward, locking its mandibles onto Rahn's face.

Her bio-suit was enabled and covered her entire body, but despite its protection she was overcome with intense pain. Pain. It was a sensation that she had not felt in a very long time.