Chapter Eight: Scrubs

Humans were incredibly illogical creatures, Rahn thought to herself

Humans were incredibly illogical creatures, Rahn thought to herself. She watched as the woman dressed as a jester tumbled off the side of the cliff, arms desperately clawing the air above her and throat releasing a shrill scream.

There was no practical point to these gestures. A simpleton could have told you that flailing about madly would do nothing to slow your descent; gravity was a certainty, not a possibility. However, humans engaged in this stupid behaviour automatically; instinctively.

Rahn's perception of time stretched the moment into an eternity in human eyes; she watched the woman's pupils dilate, her four limbs thrash up and down. The body eventually slammed into the jagged teeth of rocks at the edge of the coast. A blood-freezing 'snap' ended the woman's screaming, and her face's animated contortion vanished.

Rahn turned to the Joker. His pale face was twisted in a wince. "Eugh..."

"Why did you do that?" Rahn asked inquisitively.

The Joker cocked his head playfully. "Well...they usually catch her...and that gives me time to skedaddle. I suppose you're new, so make sure you remember to not let her die next time." He declared, presenting his wrists as if Rahn had a pair of handcuffs at the ready.

"There will not be a 'next time'."

"Oh...?"

"You will be corrected at the mental health facility at Arkham Asylum."

"Ah...good. For a second there I thought you were gonna kill me."

Rahn frowned. The idea was a tempting one, but to gain the trust of this world's guardians, she would have to restrain her dispensation of lethal force...

Since her focus was on the chemically scarred man before her, Rahn did not detect the two approaching law enforcement vehicles until they were in visual range.

The Joker chuckled. "Here come the fuzz. Hopefully one of these bozos is on my payroll."

Skidding to a halt on the edge of the road, the cars had their doors thrown open, allowing their occupants to emerge. Each hand a firearm trained on both Joker and Rahn.

"GCPD, put your hands on your head!" one officer barked.

Joker instantly followed their instructions, leaving a curious Rahn to observe the police officers.

With a paling face, another cop added, "S-Sarge...it's him...! The Joker...! Shouldn't we call for backup?"

"Perez, cool it. You gotta shake all those ghost stories; I've taken him in before. He's just a guy. A nut job sure, but just a guy. I'm more worried about his new friend," replied the Sergeant. The conversation was much too muted for the Joker to hear, but Rahn comprehended it just fine.

Rahn took a step forward and said, "This man has committed multiple counts of murder, he--"

"Woah, hold it! Hold it!"