Chapter Sixteen: Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Jason was there when they returned

Jason was there when they returned. He was rummaging through Bruce's gadgets; which covered an entire section of the Batcave. He certainly heard them arrive but didn't even bother looking at them. Instead, he grabbed five Batarangs and shoved them into his bag.

"What are you doing here?" Bruce said in a much harsher tone than he probably intended.

Jason swung the bag around his shoulders and marched right passed them, a sour expression on his face. "Leaving."

"You don't want anything to do with me but you're fine with stealing my tools?" Bruce hissed.

"Yep."

Jason hadn't slowed his pace for even a second. He had almost reached the elevator when Rahn said, "Bat... Did you not promise The Penis that you would make amends? Is this how humans 'make up'?"

This was enough to give Jason pause. He stopped, turned, and stared at the alien woman in absolute confusion. The same could not be said for Bruce who gave a gruff sigh but nothing more. Apparently he had grown used to the weird shit that left her mouth.

"Penis?" Jason questioned, temporary shock overriding his annoyance.

"Yeah. That's his name, right? Gray Penis?"

Bruce finally gave her a stern look and said, "Dick Grayson."

"Oh... Is that not the same thing?"

"No."

Rahn frowned, "Your language is counterintuitive."

On the far side of the room, Jason gave a short snort of amusement, then turned to leave again. Any initial intrigue had vanished into that deeply-rooted anger again. He didn't want to be in the same room as Bruce for longer than he had to.

Rahn's reminder must have stirred something in Bruce though, because before the young thief could exit the Batcave, Bruce had called out, "Jason."

The tone in his voice had taken Jason off guard. He didn't say his name with that usual cold indifference. It had purpose. "What?"

There was a silence that seemed to freeze the air around them. For a moment, it looked like Bruce might not say anything at all until, finally, he relented. "You're losing control. I've seen what you've been doing. The people you've 'interrogated'. It's one step away from murder."

"And you treat criminals any better, do you?" Jason scoffed. "Don't give me that bullshit. I've seen the look in your eye when you hurt them. You like it as much as I do."

"There's a difference between interrogation and torture, Jason."

"Is this your idea of an apology? Because it fuckin' sucks."