Chapter 2

Hailey was holding Jake's hand as she lead him out the practice room. Jake had managed to stop crying,although he still felt heartbroken and absolutely horrible on the inside. Hailey had convinced him to join the rest of the group to get sodas and relax a bit. As they were walking to meet up with the rest of group,they were silent. Hailey didn't say a word and neither did Jake. That was okay though because Jake felt comforted just by Hailey's presence and Hailey knew Jake didn't feel like talking right now. All that was heard was the voices from the backstage people,members from other bands,lighting people,and the judges. It sure was noisy behind the curtains. Jake stared down at the floor while he was walking. He couldn't bear the thought of other people seeing him with watery,red eyes. Hailey gave his hand a reassuring squeeze and they approached their friends. "Hey guys!" Milly yelled out as she waved for them to come closer. Luke smiled at Jake and Hailey,Zander only nodded hello to them,and Sean was near a corner,looking kind of sad. "Hey Milly" Hailey replied as she slowly walked over to the rest of the group with Jake. Milly turned to say something to Jake,but froze in her tracks once she saw his sad,heartbroken face. The other members noticed right away too. "What's up with him?" Zander asked,raising an eyebrow while looking at Jake. Jake slowly looked up at his friends and cleared his throat. "I-I got r-rejected b-by D-Daisy" Jake managed to get the words out with an extremely shaky voice. He could feel tears beginning to roll down his face again so he quickly turned around and wiped them away. Hailey worriedly looked at Jake,but then went over and hugged him. "Shh it's okay Jake,we're all here for you" Hailey whispered in his ear. 

The group all exchanged worried glances and then nodded. Milly,Sean,Luke,and Zander all slowly and quietly walked across the wooden floor. Without saying a word,they hugged Jake. Well everyone did except Zander. Zander only patted his back to give him support but he wasn't the hugging type of person. "Rejection is hard dude but you can get through it" Milly said as she hugged Jake tighter. She may have not seemed like a hugging type but she was and when she hugged,she kept her grip tight. "We'll always support you,we're your family after all" Luke said. Jake only nodded but tears rolled down more and fell onto the floor. Members of the other bands started staring and whispering about Jake. They were calling him things like a cry baby and a loser. Hailey could hear their whispers and she couldn't take it anymore. She had to do something. "Hey stop whispering about my friend!" Hailey yelled out as she pointed at a black haired boy and a brown haired girl. The black haired boy only smirked. "Why? What are you going to do if we don't stop whispering about that wimp?" The black haired boy said. The brown haired girl laughed. Hailey could feel her face boil with anger. Being mean to her friends was bad,but being mean to her crush was the worst thing you could possibly do. She stepped away from the group and marched right towards the black haired boy. Milly let go of Jake because she sensed some tension and followed Hailey. Zander looked at Milly following Hailey and he decided to go as well. That left Luke and Sean to comfort Jake.
"Listen up,whatever your name is. Jake is going through something right now and the last thing he needs is rude people like you whispering bad things about him. Just admit that you were jealous of his performance and insulting him is the only way to make you feel better about yourself " Hailey said as she made direct eye contact with the black haired boy. The black haired boy and the brown haired girl angrily shot Hailey a glare. "First of all,my name is Tyler.Second of all,I wasn't jealous of his performance at all. I know I did way better than he could ever do. So what if he's going through something? That just proves he's not a man" Tyler said with a smirk. Hailey death glared Tyler as she stepped closer. "Hailey? What are you doing? It's not worth it to pick fights with other bands" Zander said as he walked closer to Hailey to try to stop her. Hailey didn't even listen to Zander. She just kept walking towards Tyler. When she was right in front of his face,Tyler smiled wide. "What are you going to do? Tell me I'm such a bully? Sorry but that isn't going to work" Tyler said,keeping that wide grin on his face.The brown haired girl had a huge grin on her face too.
That's when Hailey slapped him. 

  "Yeah you go girl! Teach him a lesson!" Milly cheered out from behind Hailey. Zander's eyes widen in shock. Hailey's never hit or slapped anyone before. But now here she was,standing right in front of this Tyler guy after slapping him for Jake's defense. Tyler covered the red side of his cheek with his hand and glared at Hailey. "That's it! Now you crossed the line you brat!" The brown haired girl yelled as she ran towards Hailey. Hailey turned around and wasn't prepared to defend herself. The brown haired girl raised a fist,prepared to punch Hailey right in the face. Hailey closed her eyes and tried to shield her face with her hands as she expected the punch to be hard. She didn't feel a punch at all. In shock,she opened her eyes and was surprised by what she saw. Jake was right there,in front of her,and he was holding the fist of the brown haired girl. "Funny how you think you can hurt my friends" Jake said with a forced grin. The brown haired girl gritted her teeth and pulled back her fist. "Great it's the crying wimp who's trying to act so brave and confident for his girlfriend now" the brown haired girl said with an annoyed voice. Hailey and Jake blushed a bit from the girlfriend comment and Milly gave them a smirk. Zander only sighed. "She's not my girlfriend and I'm not a crying wimp either. Looks like you're just some girl who has nothing better to do with her life so she tries to act superior than others" Jake said with a serious voice. The brown haired girl's face boiled with anger as she stomped towards Jake. She was suddenly stopped when someone grabbed her wrist.

"Huh?!" she yelled out as she whipped around. Tyler was holding her wrist. "Let's just go Emma,there's no point in staying here with them" Tyler said as he angrily stared at Jake,Hailey,Milly,and Zander. Emma loudly sighed. "Fine" she said as she shot Jake one last glare before walking away. Tyler glared at the group then went to follow Emma. Hailey turned around and looked at Jake. "Thanks for saving me back there" Hailey said with a small smile. Jake smiled back. "No problem,anything for a friend" he said. A friend. That thought hurt Hailey's heart. She wanted to be more than friends but she couldn't say that to Jake,especially not now. "Come on guys,let's get back to our sodas!" Milly yelled as she ran back to where Luke and Sean were. "Yeah let's go guys and try not pick fights again" Zander said as he looked at Jake and Hailey. "We won't Zander,I promise" Hailey said with a nervous smile. Zander smiled and walked away.
"Hey Hailey" Jake said when it was just the two of them again. Hailey turned around and looked at Jake. "Yeah? What's up?" She asked with a curious face. "I'm really glad I have you guys,especially you. You've made me feel a little better the most" Jake said with a smile so warm and genuine that Hailey couldn't help but blush. She was glad Jake was feeling better,even if it was just a bit. "Thank you Jake and it's no problem. I would do anything to make you and our friends feel better" she said with a smile. Jake reached out and held Hailey's hand. "Let's get back to our friends now" he said with a calmer voice. "Y-yeah" Hailey responded with a blush. As they were walking back to their friends,Hailey realized something. 

She realized her feelings for Jake were only getting deeper.