Twenty. Disqualified Squared

Being in the Alpha's office was something Daisy liked to avoid at all costs. It was suffocating enough being in the room alone with the leader himself. But the entire Philips family? Daisy stood as close to the exit without looking weird, but she still couldn't breathe properly. 

Alpha Philips sat at the head of his desk with his Luna standing to his right flank. Charlotte sat in the two seats in front of the Alpha's desk with Cooper standing directly behind her. 

"Daisy, is what Rowan— I mean, Mark —said, true?" Cooper asked, rubbing Charlotte's shoulders in the process. Though the gesture likely comforted the masseur. 

"Babe, you were there at the hall just like everyone else," Charlotte politely reminded her mate in a soothing mom voice that she'd already perfected without the pup being born yet. 

"I know," Cooper sighed as Charlotte reached up and grabbed one of his hands on her shoulder. "I just hoped that maybe I had one too many of the hard spirits."

"You're not the only one perplexed by the matter," Luna Philips joined in. Daisy internally flinched at her Luna's sharp tone. On the outside, she remained composed, refusing to show her leaders her true emotions. "Because clearly, we raised you better," Luna added in a matter-of-fact tone. 

Daisy frowned ever so slightly. "You were raising me? Since when?" 

"Daisy," Alpha Philips said in a warning tone, "I suggest you keep your attitude in check."

Daisy gritted her teeth but bowed her head. "My apologies, Alpha."

"Elaborate to us what your mate said at the hall," Alpha Philips ordered. "Is he even your mate, or did you fake that too?"

"Mark is my mate," Daisy confirmed in a heartbeat. "However, he's not a werewolf. He's an ogre."

"What about his family lineage? It is safe to assume they're not photographers?" Luna Philips inquired. 

"That part is true, though I don't know why it matters so much to you."

"Daisy," Alpha Philips repeated in the same warning tone. 

Daisy nodded her head. "Attitude in check. Right." 

Off to the side, Cooper was masking a laugh with an apparent fake cough. Charlotte gave him an unimpressed look, to which he quietly apologized. 

"I convinced Mark to lie to you all about his true species," Daisy stated, bringing the conversation back on track. Not like she could avoid it any longer. 

"Why would you do that?" Cooper asked, butting in before the Alpha and Luna. While the two leaders kept their cool, Cooper didn't bother hiding his confusion. "The pack would've loved him."

"But it wouldn't be enough to compete with you for the title," Daisy exclaimed, turning to face her brother. It was a lot easier talking to him than their Alpha and Luna. 

Cooper shook his head. "You don't know that."

"It wasn't a risk I was willing to take."

"But this was? Risking your mate was a risk you were willing to take?" Cooper's question made Daisy go quiet, which Cooper took as a sign to continue. "Do you truly want the title that bad? More than your own mate?" 

Daisy kept quiet, unable to answer the question. Her mind was void of any answers. 

All the while, Alpha Philips observed the scene unfold. After a few seconds, when Daisy still refused to speak up, he finally took the reign. "Daisy," he called out, and the she-wolf turned to face him immediately.