9. Imperfection

9

We were all sitting around in the living room playing a board game when the doorbell rang.  I immediately looked over at Alex and watched his face light up like a Christmas tree. 

“I’ll get it!” He said, scrambling out of his seat.

We all smiled after him and waited for them to re-enter the living room.

“And here she is!” Alex said coming in with a tall beautiful blond woman.  She was stunning.  Her hair was in a loose bun and she was in fitted jeans and a sweater with a bunch of bags.  She was thin, but had a definitely curve to her body and she had huge beautiful blue eyes with perfect pink lips.  It was the exact woman you’d picture a guy like Alex being with.

She had a huge smile on her face, “Hey everyone! It’s been a while!”

“Too long in my opinion!” Diane said going up and hugging her tightly.  “How have you been sweetheart?”

“Great!  The business deal went smoothly and I got a great vacation! The hotel was amazing!  I missed all of you and Alex so much though!”

“Well, we have two new additions to our little family.” She giggled and looked over at Beth and me.

“Oh! Hello!” Vikki said, setting down her things and heading our direction.  “I’m Vikki, Alex’s fiancé.”

Beth and I stood up and shook her hand, “Hi, I’ve heard a lot about you!  I’m Cameron’s girlfriend, and this is my little sister Beth.”

Vikki looked down at Beth with a sweet smile, “Hello Beth, it’s so nice to meet you.” She held out her hand and Beth shook it with a huge toothy grin.

Then Beth motioned to Vikki to lean down.  She looked a little confused, but did as the little girl asked.  Beth then whispered something in Vikki’s ear and Vikki smiled and chuckled a little.

“Thank you very much Beth.  You are too sweet.” She said hugging Beth.

Beth just giggled in reply.  “I have to pee!” She then announced and ran off.

We all laughed as she shuffled away.

“What did she say?” Alex asked.

“She told me I was very pretty.” Vikki said with a little laugh.  Then she turned to me, “She’s absolutely darling.”

“Thank you.” I beamed with pride in my lovely little Beth.

“Well, everyone, if you don’t mind I’m going to go get Vikki settled in.” Alex said grabbing her bags.

“Alright, just make sure you two are ready are down here and presentable for dinner.” Diane said with a smirk.

Alex just rolled his eyes and took Vikki upstairs.

We all continued playing our game and Beth eventually came back and plopped herself down in Diane’s lap like it was nothing.  In reality it was no big deal, but to me it just made me realize how much time we actually had been here to the point where things like that were just normal.  Diane was almost like her adopted grandma now.  I kind of smiled at the idea since she’d never actually had a grandparent…or a real parent for that matter.

“Stop being so hard in thought.” Cam whispered to me.

“Oh sorry.” I chuckled.  “I was just thinking about how comfortable Beth and I are here now.  I mean your mom is the closest thing to a grandma she’s ever had.”

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “I’m glad to hear that you both like spending time here.”

“Of course we do.” I laughed.