Chapter 22

Dua's P.O.V

"Dua you know it's very disappointing to learn that the girl you have best friends with since years has told you so many lies since the very start."
Aina said after I explained my friends about our nikkah and on what conditions it happened. Though I didn't tell them the whole thing but still I know they were hurt by my constant lies.

"I'm sorry guys."
I replied timidly while looking down. I knew I was at fault but it was the whole situation that made me do so.

"I'm very disappointed in you Dua. I thought you considered us family."
Laiba said seriously and I knew I've hurt them beyond description. Because Laiba was never a serious person and if she was serious then things are about to turn ugly.

"I.... The situation made me do so."
I replied softly looking toward their faces who look quite disappointed with me and that hurt. A lot.

"Enough Dua. Stop lying..... To us and to yourself. You had the option to tell us everything but what did you do...... You lied. Every single time Dua. You choose to run away from the truth. We gave you enough time and space to let you feel comfortable and share everything. Tell me one thing. Your depression and PTSD is also related to Dr. Hashir? Ain't it? It wasn't only about your brother since the very start but also related to your relationship with Dr. Hashir. Am I wrong?"
Aina replied in icy tone and I flinched at her words. Her words were true and I had no guts to deny her words. So I looked down not able to meet their gaze and my downcast eyes gave them all the answers they demanded.

"For five years Dua. You've been suffering from depression and PTSD. You've tried to commit suicide multiple times and that was the reason your family didn't wanted to let you out of their sight. We took your responsibility as your friends to make sure you're safe here. Every time when we want to know about the reason of your depression you say it's because of your brother and change the topic. We never pressurised you for anything thinking that you'll tell us eventually but it never happened. But today let me ask one thing from you. If we didn't accidentally discover it today. Were you ever gonna tell us?"
Laiba said in dead serious tone and I was numb at my place not knowing what to say or even do.

What they said was all true. They've always been with me in my tough time like a silent support never asking questions just to make me feel safe and comforted and in return I broke their trust and lied to them. I very well know what a betrayal feel likes especially when it came from the ones you love the most and they were feeling same. Tears gathered in my eyes and a few escaped my eyes dropping on my cheeks.

"I'm sorry"
I said trying hard not to let my voice break in middle.

"You're sorry for what Dua? For lying to us? For being insecure on telling us everything ? For not trusting us or For running away from truth every damn time? Because I'm sure you still haven't told us the whole damn thing."
Laiba almost shouted and I again looked down with tears pooling my eyes.

"Enough. Not a word more. Laiba and Aina both of you go and sit in the car. I'm coming in five minutes"
Zohaib who was silent all the time said in a loud tone indicating that he doesn't want argument over it.

"But...."
Aina tried to say something but Zohaib cut her off by a glare and she huffed and left with Laiba not before giving me a hard look.

"Did you tried to hurt yourself yesterday?"
Zohaib asked the unexpected question after both Laiba and Aina were gone and I looked at him startled who was looking at my bandaged wrist.

"I know you heard me."
Zohaib said in somewhat calm tone and I nodded my head knowing that I wasn't in position to lie.

"I thought you were stronger than this Dua. You promised me last time that you won't hurt yourself."
Zohaib replied seriously looking into my eyes and I looked down in shame.