4. Eat a Chocolate Cake

a/n: it is so weird to see how much better my writing style has gotten in the past few months because i wrote this story before i wrote promise and that is very obvious

In the week after your visit to the Evanders', your life was pretty normal. You made sure to practice the flute at least once a day. Colt, who had never heard you before, was enraptured by the sound, and you could often count on him mysteriously appearing during your typical practice time.

You had not been to visit Kruger or Reiner since that day, either, far too busy chasing after the mischievous younger Warrior candidates and spending your time with Colt. Though you and him were always together on the battlefield, it wasn't the same, and now that he had gone through his habitual one night of drunken revelry and you could count on him being sober, you could finally spend your time together as normal seventeen year olds.

Ever since the two of you had found out about your new roles, Colt had become clingier than normal, refusing to leave you alone after he had recovered from his vicious hangover. You did not mind, relishing in the chance to be with him, even when all you did was sit next to each other and read, sharing a blanket and occasionally your thoughts about your respective books.

Today, though, was not such a relaxed day. You and Colt had been invited to celebrate the victory against the Mid-East Allied Forces with the other Warriors, since you would soon join them officially. Both of you were nervous, even though you had been assured it would be an informal gathering, and currently, you two were in your bedroom as you furiously threw clothes out of your closet.

"Just wear what you always do," Colt said from where he lounged on your bed. A pair of pants hit him in the face. You did not bother apologizing, instead digging deeper into your closet, trying in vain to find something that you would be willing to wear.

"I want to look nice!" you said, though you weren't sure why. All of the Warriors had seen you at your worst, bruised and bloody from battle. Perhaps that was the reason. You didn't want their only image of you to be when your body was pushed beyond its limits.

"You always look nice. Take your pants," he said, throwing the tan trousers back at you. You caught them and folded them, putting them back in your closet before triumphantly pulling out what you had been looking for the entire time, one of two dresses you owned.

"Ha! Here we go!" you said, brandishing the white dress in front of you.

"Hey, we'll match!" Colt said, looking down at his white button down.

"That's the whole point. Now get out so I can change," you said, shoving him unceremoniously off of the bed. He lay on the floor and groaned.

"I was getting up! No need to be so aggressive!" he said, standing and giving you a glare that was not intimidating at all before leaving the room. You changed in record time, not wanting to make him wait, zipping up the dress as best as you could and leaving the rest for Colt.

"Can you finish zipping this?" you called as you pulled on your shoes. Colt peeked in and, affirming that you were not naked, opened the door fully and came to stand behind you.

"Hold your hair up or it'll get caught," he said.

"Kinda busy here," you said, fiddling with the straps of your sandals. He sighed and used one hand to push your hair aside as he yanked the zipper up.

"There you go. Can we go? We'll be late otherwise, unless you're up for running," he said. You gave him a disdainful look.

"I'd beat you if you're looking for a race, but as it is, I am not planning on running dressed like this," you said, adjusting the hem of your dress. Colt rolled his eyes.