38 | your ivy grows

There was no time for us to rest in Florence.

The next day, we decided to pay a little visit to Ianucci's mansion.

No, by visit I didn't mean actually going in. We'd planned to check the perimeters of the building, along with all its entry and exit points. We needed to know the layout of the mansion as well as we could, to see what the possible methods of escape were, if the need arose.

We'd already got a plan of the interiors of the mansion from TIA, but we'd decided to check out the perimeter ourselves. We needed to do some homework before we actually went in.

It was warm and sunny today, the heat actually quite scorching. I'd worn a tank top with cotton shorts so thankfully I wasn't feeling too hot, but still, I was in desperate need of an ice cream.

Luckily, Miranda voiced my exact thoughts. "Wanna stop for some gelato on the way? We don't have any rush today, so might as well taste some of Italy's famous gelato in this heat."

Soler and I nodded eagerly. We spotted a small ice cream parlour nearby, its walls painted a cool blue with Sogno d'Estate di Vincenzo written in white lettering. Summer Dream by Vincenzo. Nice.

Entering the parlour, we ordered our three gelatos and sat on the stools at the counter, practically devouring the delicious ice creams. Damn, were they good.

As I was slurping on my ice cream, I noticed Soler's eyes on me. He was laughing silently. I scrunched my brows at him. "What's so funny?"

He shook his head, still grinning. "Nothing, you have an ice cream moustache and you look ridiculous."

I glared at him, flipping him off. "Jackass." I licked the 'moustache' clean and noticed his eyes flick down to my lips.

I smirked. "Distracted, Soler?"

He snapped back to reality, eyes narrowing at me. "Why would I be distracted? I'm totally focused on my job. And this gelato of course. And you making a fool of yourself."

I snorted. "Then please try to be a little less obvious when you're staring at my lips next time."

I didn't know where this sudden burst of courage came from, which prompted me to say this without a care in the world. But it did feel good, and it felt even better to see his eyes widen at my statement. His cheeks flushed a bit, and my stomach jolted at the sight. When was the last time I'd seen him blush?!

He gathered himself quickly and rolled his eyes. "Don't be delusional, Potatohead."

I glared at him, daring him to call me that again, when Miranda interrupted our silent battle.

"If you two are done with your flirting, we can continue our mission."

This time, I was certain my cheeks reddened too. Soler glared at Miranda, who gave him a no-nonsense look, as if to say cut the crap. He sighed and looked away, choosing not to argue and carry on this ridiculous discussion any further.

We got up, paying for the ice creams, and then exited the parlour.

After a while, we reached the posh neighbourhood where Ianucci's residence was located, around noon. There were a few people walking on the street, although it was mostly empty, probably because the neighbourhood was quite secluded and it was warm outside.

As soon as we turned a corner, we spotted the mansion.

It was a large estate, spread over a few acres definitely, with a huge wrought iron gate guarding it. The actual mansion stood looming behind, a beautiful but intimidating stone structure. It was clearly an old building, as far as I could see from this distance. There was also definitely a garden leading onto the mansion, though it wasn't visible from where we were standing.