46 | king of my heart

One week later

Soler, Miranda and I had finally returned to Zürich, at the TIA HQ. After recovering at the hospital, giving our statements to the police, giving my statement about the assault, and completing the paperwork, we were officially done with the mission.

Mason and Amélie's court trial would begin at the end of the month, but it was practically certain they'd go to jail. By now, the entire world had got wind of the matter, and all over, the press was going crazy over the two celebrities-turned-criminals. The fact that the whole case had been kept secret for so long, made the public even more frenzied.

Soler, Miranda and I kept a low profile and our names, of course, weren't revealed to the press. We were special agents after all, and this was our job. We didn't need the extra exposure from the public, because our literal task was to keep our identities as private as possible.

I would, of course, need to testify against Gauthier and his crony in court, about the assault case. I was scared about that, I won't lie. I was terrified to face them again, look into those cruel grey eyes again. But I knew I'd have Soler and Miranda by my side, and this time, I told myself I'd be ready. Ready to speak my truth.

As the days passed, our lives returned to what they used to be, except now, I had a close friend at TIA named Miranda Liu, and a something-more-than-friend named Marco Soler. I felt happier, although I did have nightmares sometimes about the day at Ianucci's mansion.

But I'd been prepared for those nightmares. I knew they'd come sooner or later, and come they did. Thankfully, I had people to comfort me and make me feel safe, and day by day, I was getting my confidence back.

Only one thing remained to be resolved.

Mehmet Dogan.

I hadn't forgotten my promise to the old Turkish trader about making sure Amélie paid for her blackmailing, both in jailtime and in monetary compensation to Dogan.

So later that week, I submitted the voice recording of Dogan narrating his experience at the Grand Bazaar, to Director Vonnegut at TIA. She listened to it gravely, and then nodded at me.

"So Amélie Beaumont had been stealing Dogan's designs for her own profit and then blackmailing him into keeping quiet?"

I nodded. "Yes, Director. He reported everything in this recording, and I got his number so that we can contact him for his official statement in this matter. He will probably agree. This will further strengthen the case against Beaumont."

Vonnegut nodded. "Very well. I'll make sure Dogan gets a call from us and has his statement taken. He will need to testify in court, and show some of his original designs to the jury. But I'm sure it'll be convincing enough, and he'll get the compensation he deserves."

I nodded, smiling. "Thank you, Director."

She smiled, and for the first time, I saw a touch of warmth in her demeanour. "No, Agent, thank you for bringing this to my notice. You and your teammates have already done a great job with the mission, and you've all been through a lot in these past few weeks. But to go above and beyond and bring the case of Mehmet Dogan to my attention is something I appreciate. So thank you, Winter."

I smiled and took my leave from her office.

°

Later that day, while I was training alone at the TIA shooting range, I felt a presence behind me.

I immediately turned around in a flash, my instincts on hyperdrive, and struck my fist at the person without looking.

"Holy shit, Winter, it's me!" Soler exclaimed as he doubled over in pain.