Chapter 2 - Tenya Iida

... Petals? PETALS? I don't recall eating a flower... but blood? Is it perhaps because of the petals coming up unnaturally? I think to myself, 'What is this?  Am I sick? Should I tell anyone?' I then hear a knock and a familiar voice. "Iidababe? Are you okay? You've been coughing nonstop since I've been here!" It was Ashido. "A-ashido? What a-are you doing? You should be in class!" I couldn't see her, but I felt her roll her eyes from behind the door. "Iidababe... Is anyone else in there? Can we find a place to talk?" I could hear her voice shaking. I thought about letting her in, but this is the boys' bathroom... Agh. I grab a mask from the counter, made for in case you're sick. I put it on, and walked out. "Where," I asked blandly. She pointed somewhere out of the school building, near the dorms. Ashido grabbed my hand swiftly and we arrived at a little shaded area just West of the dorms. "Iida, what the F(*)CK is going on?!" Ashido shouted. I hushed her down, "Language," 'Do I tell her? This may affect my hero work and training...' I took a deep breath. "Ashido, do you have any idea what's happening? As soon as Todoroki and Yaoyorozu announced that they were dating, I smelled flowers. Just now, I coughed up blood and, well, flower petals. Red and white ones," If you know Ashido, she loves 'drama,' and if anyone was to know about what's happening to me, she would. "Iida... We're taking you to Recovery Girl! I have an idea of what's going on..." She muttered, and I thought of Midoriya. "Iida, do you like anyone romantically?" This was the first time I've heard her serious about something like this. 'Of course, I can't like anyone. I just can't! What if Todoroki were to- Wait, why did Todoroki come to mind? DO I-' "Iida? Are you alright?" I must have gotten lost in my thoughts. "Ah, yes. I do think I may like someone romantically." Ashido gasped, but in a way that conveyed the words 'oh no'. "Iida, get us to Recovery Girl as soon as possible," She said as I gave consent to let her onto my back.

    When we made it to Recovery Girl, I was told by Ashido to lay down on one of the beds for now. I heard something called 'hanahaki' come up, and it sounded very similar to my conditions. Afterwards, Recovery Girl drew some blood from my left forearm, with a cute little band-aid on the mark. "Oh bless you, dear boy. You do in fact have the hanahaki disease," She handed me a slip of paper that read, 'Hanahaki Disease is a disease where the victim of unrequited or one-sided love begins to vomit or cough up the petals and flowers of a flowering plant growing in their lungs, which will eventually grow large enough to render breathing impossible if left untreated. There is no set time for how long this disease lasts but it may last from 2 weeks to 3 months, in rare cases up to 18 months, until the victim dies unless the feelings are returned or the plants are surgically removed. There is also no set flower that blossoms in the lungs but it may be the enamoured's favourite flower or favourite colour. Hanahaki can be cured through surgical removal of the plants' roots, but this excision also has the effect of removing the patient's capacity for romantic love. It may also erase the patient's feelings for and memories of the enamoured. It can also be cured by the reciprocation of the victim's feelings. These feelings cannot be feelings of friendship but must be feelings of genuine love. The victim may also develop Hanahaki Disease if they believe the love to be one-sided but once the enamoured returns the feelings, they will be cured. In some literature, other symptoms can be fever, uncontrollable shaking, loss of appetite, low body temperature, and hallucinations. Even after curing, with or without surgery, there can be irreversible damage to the lungs and, although very rare, in some cases the disease cannot be cured.' I just sat there, my hands shaking. 

 TIME SKIP TO WHEN IIDA AND MINA ARE IN MINA'S DORM ROOM

    "Ashido, what am I to do? I can't tell Todoroki I like him, he just started dating Yaoyorozu!" I fretted, Ashido getting nervous herself. "Iida, you have to tell him and have him return your feelings, or get the surgery in risk of losing all romantic feelings. You have a Dekusquad, don't you? Tell them, they know you better than I do. They'll be able to help. You won't have to tell them that it's Todoroki, just tell them the situation." I scoff, "Ashido, if you are willing to, I'd prefer if it was only you helping. You are the most capable to help in these romantic, dramatic, rare things," She shook her head at me. "I'm very willing to help Iida. But, eventually, you have to choose to get the surgery, or test your luck with Todoroki," Ashido said, panicking as I started coughing up blood and petals once again. She patted my back, giving me a damp towel to clean my mouth with. She hugged me. "Iida, this is rough, but you will be okay, one way or another."