Chapter 5

(A/N) Sorry if there is any spelling/grammatic errors

--------------------------------

JJ's P.O.V

After four hours of preparation from a new haircut to makeup and getting dressed, the parade is underway.

My stylist, Melanie Veils is like an annoying bug. She told me she always gets nervous around the parade, and is constantly fixing my hair and consume. My fellow tribute, Ory, looks completely different than she did during the reaping. Her short blonde hair had been transformed to long golden hair and was dressed in a gorgeous long blue gown. Despite being on the train together for a day, we had not spoken one word to each other. I thought this was best as soon as we were officially taken into custody. After all, why get attached to someone when they are going to die? 

We are helped up onto the carriage and the white horses begin to trot after District 3. It is a breathtaking scene. Thousands and thousands of people scream, cheer and wave as we speed down the pathway. I wave to the crowd, beaming. My mentor, Hallie Patterson suggested my image to be likeable.

"You have a sort of charm. Likeable would be your best bet," Hallie had told me on the train. I didn't hear what Ory's image was. I glance to my side to see Ory waving as well, and blowing kisses. She looks relaxed and at ease. It is that moment I realize my fellow tribute is a threat. She can act well. She genually looks like she is happy to be here. If she can pull that off, she could possibly win the audience's heart during the interview.

The carriage stopped abruptly as we reached the end of the pathway. The two horses trots and stops beside District 12's. I could tell because they were dressed in standard coalminers outfits. They look utter crap compared to our costumes. The male tribute looks about my age, where the female tribute appears to look in her late teens. They both are not smiling, oddly the male tribute was frowning and oblivious to the mad cheering crowd.

President Snow comes up, the first time I had ever seen him apart form being on television at home. 

"Welcome! Welcome tributes, we welcome you," he booms.

"We salute your courage and your sacrifice. We wish you happy hunger games, and may the odds be ever in your favour," he smiles, looking down upon the 12 carriages.

The crowd cheers louder, almost deafening.

Quickly the horses on cue trot forward and we are taken out of the audience's sight.

"That was wonderful! Absolutely perfect!" Hail smiles. 

We are helped off the carriage and as I take a couple of steps back I bump into something.

"Ouch! Watch where you're going you prat!" a voice hisses.

I turn to see the biggest woman I had ever seen glaring down at me. She looks almost seven feet and maybe 300 pounds. There was no mistake, this was the giant from district 10.

"Watch where you're going!"

"JJ, stop, we need to go," Melanie cooly says, firmly pushing me forward.

"What the hell do you think you're doing? Picking fights with someone like her before the games start? Are you an utter moron?!" Melanie cries when we get to our floor.

"I just lost my temper and besides I didn't say anything!" I angrily reply.

"It doesn't matter! You need to use your brain. Out of all tributes do you seriously want your enemy to be Shirna's?" Melanie bitterly spat.