Chapter 1

George's P.O.V - District 11

Humming a tune, I walked down the dirt path with one of my best mates, Megan. We were just heading back from work and always walked home together because we lived across the road from each other. 

"Do you think it is ever going to get cooler? It's been so hot for weeks…" Megan groaned, pulling a bag over her sandy blond hair and then shifting it down her neck to avoid the beating heat.

"Doubt it," I sighed. There had been no clouds in the sky, and I heard my Dad say it was going to even get hotter in the next couple of days.

 We had just reached our street when I noticed my sister, Harriet was running up towards us.

"There is a mandatory program starting in five minutes," she announced when she ran up to us.

"What for? Usually we don't get a mandatory program around now, are you sure?" I asked.

Harriet nodded but began to cough. Megan handed her water skin to my sister.

"Mr. Davis announced it this morning, come on, we're going to be late" she said after taking a gulp of water.

"I better go then, my parents will be wondering. I'll see you tomorrow George, yeah?" Megan smiled, taking back her water skin from Harriet.

"Okay, bye, see you tomorrow!" I called as she crossed the dirt street.

Our house was a good size for our district, although the floor was slanted and the wood was rotting. At least we had a kitchen/sitting room, washroom and two bedrooms. Most children had to sleep in the sitting room.

 The door was unhinged and wind always found a way through the windows no matter how hard I tried to fix it.

Sitting on the old bench, our old battered tv flickered on.

On screen was Rylan Clarke, the head news anchor at the capitol. He had changed his hair to bright silver this time, and green eyeliner.

"I know you all are excited to see who won the 'U Change Hunger Games' contest and what I've heard is there has been thousands of entries. But finally, you don't have to wait any longer because here is President Snow with the winner!" Rylan exclaimed. 

I knit my eyebrows together in confusion. I had not heard there was a contest going on, then again, we barely knew anything that was going on the capitol, let alone contests. But why was this mandatory viewing?

The screen switched to President Snow, sitting in a tall purple chair, staring straight ahead.

"I am pleased to announce the winner of the "U Change Hunger Games" contest is: Christopher Maloney! He came up with a unique and exciting change to the games and I am very excited that he and the head game maker this year, Chistin Hanes, will be working together this year and I have no worry that they will help create the best games we have seen in many years." President Snow announced. Followed by the Capitol anthem, it went back to Rylan.

"I can not contain my excitement! Now after the break we are going to meet Christopher and he will announce what amazing change he has made to the games, so stay where you are, we'll be right back!"

Time seemed to pause as the ads started. 

Change, what bloody change?  I thought. There has never been any change in the games before!

Harriet was rocking back and forth on the floor, looking petrified.

My heart sank. How thick was I? This would be my first year not being in the reaping, but this will be her fifth reaping. 

I cried the night before every single reaping. When I was 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18. I also cried the morning of the reaping each year.

Harriet on the other hand, never cried. Even when it was her first reaping. I thought ever single person cried on the day of their first reaping. But not my sister, she kept a brave face and had gone through four reapings without any emotion.

Glancing at her, I noticed, a tear went down her cheek.

"Harriet…" 

"Shhh! It's back on," she cut me off, quickly pretending she had something in her eye.

"….the winner: Christopher Maloney!" called out Rylan. The audience on tv went wild, cheering, screaming and clapping.

A man, about forty took a seat beside Rylan. He had short hair, blue eyes and was dressed in a suit. The only capitol enhancement he had were long gold eyelids. Some people in the audience threw roses in Christopher's direction.

"Welcome Christopher! We are so excited to have you, aren't we?" Rylan asked turning to the audience.

A quick explosion of cheering came from the audience.

I scowled. It was disgusting, how happy they all were. 

"Thanks, great to be here," Christopher said, smiling to Rylan.

"So before you tell us what your idea is, is it true you are really going to be working with Chistin Hanes?" Rylan asked, leaning forward, getting down to buisness.

"Yes, I am, I am very excited. I have always wanted to be a game maker since I was a little, so it will be great, can't wait!," Christopher replied, taking a sip of a bright pink liquid from his goblet. The goblet was sparkling gold and I had never seen a globet like that before.

"I can barely sleep, the games are only a week away. So you have to tell us, what change have you come up with?"

"Well, I think we all have forgotten the origin of the games. It started with the districts, rebelling against the capitol and how we do not want this to happen again. That is how the games began. Showing the districts the capitol has power, and they should not bring trouble again that will cost lives. And so I thought, we should change the limitation." Christopher calmly explained.

"Limitation?" Rylan asked, clearly confused.

"Age limitation. For this year's games, if district members are nineteen to twenty five, you are still eligible for being reaped for your district."

----------------

Sorry for the short chapter, the next ones will be longer! Please, please comment, vote or fan:)