Chapter 2: It's the Little Things

Katara continued healing Kuai, avoiding the urge to ask her why she was crying.

Kuai: Actually, can you heal my face first? I'd like to be able to see out of both eyes before anything else.

Katara: Okay. That probably is the best idea.

She stood up and began healing Kuai's face, as Sokka and Suki came running back to the group giggling. Toph greeted Sokka with a punch in the arm.

Sokka: Where's Katara?

Toph: She's by the river healing some girl. You might not wanna go down there, the girls kinda...naked.

Suki: I'll go. Sokka, stay back here. Toph? Coming with?

Sokka: No problem.

Toph: Sure, whatever.

Suki and Toph went to the river, and Suki gasped when she saw Kuai's burns. Everyone had been surprised when they saw Kuai, maybe because it took away hope; or maybe it gave them more of a motive to defeat the firelord. Toph punched Suki in the arm.

Toph: Told you it was bad. (as if Toph knew what Kuai's burns looked like...)

Kuai: Oh, hello. My name is Kuai. Are you part of 'Team Avatar' too?

Suki/Toph: Yup.

Kuai: Cool. I'm going to crash with you guys for a while.

Suki: Oh, we don't have extra blankets. You gonna be alright?

Kuai: Yeah, I'll figure something out.

Katara finished healing Kuai, and Kuai put on her under wraps. Then she yelled in a violent screech.

Kuai: ZUUUUUKKOOOOOOOOH! GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE WITH MY CLOTHES!

Zuko: Fine! UGH!

Zuko stormed over, but when he saw Kuai, more beautiful now that she was rid of blisters and weird scabs (only scars now) he paused in his tracks.

Zuko: Oh wow. You look...uh...great.

Kuai: Thanks, cutie. Hey, do you have an extra blanket I can borrow for tonight?

Zuko: Um, yeah. Whatever.

Suki: No you don't! Remember, the extra one went to me.

Zuko: Well then, Kuai can have mine.

Kuai: No way! It's cold out, and I'm not leaving you to freeze.

Zuko: I'm not leaving you to freeze either!

Kuai: Fine then. We'll share.

Everyone gasped, like a no way that's crazy kind of gasp.

Zuko: Sure, um, yeah.

Kuai: Cool. See you tonight, cutie. Hey, leave my clothes. I kind of need those.

Zuko smiled and left the clean, folded clothes on the rock next to her. He started walking backwards, smiling at Kuai, but then he tripped over a tree stump. All the girls laugh as he walked away embarrassed. Kuai got dressed, but ran after Zuko as the girls all climbed trees to get fruit.

Zuko: Hi.

Kuai: Why you down, cutie?

Zuko: I'm not. This is my normal attitude.

Kuai: Aww, come on. Cheer up. Have some fun.

Zuko: I'd rather not.

Kuai sat next to Zuko, silently. But she couldn't take the quiet much longer.

Kuai: The kiss was nice.

Zuko: I guess it was. He turned away. But I'm not sure we should do it again.

Kuai: Come on. You're TOTALLY into me.

Zuko: It's complicated...I kind of....

Kuai: Still have feelings for Mai? I see. (yes, Azula had blabbed on about that, too)

Zuko: He turned back to Kuai. Sort of, but not really. She doesn't trust me anymore, but you do. I like you right now, but I'm confused and don't want to talk about it.

Kuai: Oh, sorry. Hey, why don't we go back to the group. The girls got some fruit and other stuff for us to eat.

Zuko: Fine.

They walked back to the group and sat on opposite sides of the circle, eating fruit and drinking tea. All the others talked while Kuai and Zuko remained silent.

Sokka: So, Kuai, is it? How did you escape from the Fire Nation?

Kuai: Uh, yeah....I stole a mongoose lizard and decided to go to the Earth Kingdom for safety.

Sokka: Cool. We were planning on going to Ember Island to hide, but maybe that's too close to the Fire Nation.

Kuai: Actually, no one would ever expect that you guys would go there. Smart Idea!

Aang: Guys, we should get some rest. We need to do a lot of travelling tomorrow.

Sokka: Yeah, he's right.

Everybody who had a tent went to theirs, and Kuai sat alone by the fire. She stared at it for a long time, and then a puff of fire shot towards the wood, making the previous fire stronger than before. Kuai turned around and saw Zuko.

Zuko: I thought I told you that I wasn't leaving you out here to freeze.

Kuai: Whatever. I had a fire.

Zuko: It was about to go out.

Kuai: Thanks, cutie.

Zuko: AGH! STOP CALLING ME THAT!

Kuai: Okay, hothead. You got a temper?

Zuko: I preferred "cutie." And yes.

Kuai: It's just, with all that's been said...I didn't think I should share a tent with you tonight.

Zuko: I get that it's awkward, but I'm in charge of keeping you safe.

Kuai: Who said that?

Zuko: I did, but that's not the point. I'm not leaving you alone in the cold.

Kuai: Okay, cutie. Let's hit the hay.

And then they went to Zuko's tent.

(nothing sexual happened.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned peeps!

<33333IrishLove