Chapter 17: Into The Woods

Kuai: We should bury her.

Kuai continued to cry as she stared at Ming, who they just had to put down. Zuko put his arm around her as she pushed her face into his shoulder.

Zuko: I'll do it.

Kuai: How? We don't have a shovel. Or an earthbender.

Zuko: I'll think of something.

There were a few ideas, each completely stupid or horrendous. Then one came to mind that sounded logical, but Zuko didn't feel right suggesting it. But Kuai could see the changes of emotion on his face (happy, then surprised, then guilty, then exhausted).

Kuai: What is it? Do you have an idea?

Zuko: Sort of... it's stupid, nevermind.

Kuai: Tell me.

Zuko: Maybe, sort of a cremation...since I'm a firebender and all. But it seems kind of sick if you ask me.

Kuai: Do it.

Zuko: Uh...okay. Just don't watch.

She turned away. After about 30 minutes to an hour, it was pretty much finished. Zuko had begun tearing up, but he wiped away his tears when he walked back to Kuai. His voice weak, he said

Zuko: It's done.

Kuai: I'll wash the ashes downstream.

Zuko: At the river or the sea?

Kuai: River.

Zuko: That's about 5 miles away from here...you sure?

Kuai: The further away, the better.

And so they walked for a long time, all the way to the river with the ashes in a cheap, small burlap sack. Kuai dumped them into the river and helped the waves rid of the remains. Then she used her waterbending to clean the sack before they walked back to where they were before, probably 75 yards from shore. It was getting dark and Kuai was definitely tired, so they stopped for the night and set up camp.

Zuko: Nights out here aren't as cold, so the lack of blankets shouldn't be much of a problem.

Kuai: It's still sort of chilly.

Zuko: Yeah, I kno-

Kuai laid beside Zuko, facing him, her arms against his chest, with her fingertips slightly past his shoulders. She was crying, silently and immobile. She was trying to hid it from Zuko as she snuggled up to him and shoved her face into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her, kissed her cheek, and quickly fell asleep hugging her. They got sleep for about 3 and a half hours until they both woke to a big, yet soft noise.

Zuko: Is that what I think it is?

Kuai: Yep, it was Appa!

Suddenly Momo flew from the nearby trees and began to squeak and jump all over them both and they sat up giggling. Soon Aang and the Gaang (#wordplay again) came through the trees as well.

Sokka: Hey guys!

Aang: We were about to fly across the ocean when Momo found you guys. Apparently he has good eyesight.

Toph: Why are you guys out here? What happened?

Suki: Where's Ming?

Kuai bursted out in a loud cry and hugged Zuko, who definitely hugged her back. He was holding back tears as well. Everyone looked confused.

Katara: Oh no, please tell me its not what I think.

Aang: W-well, it can't be.

Sokka: Okay, what's going on?!

Zuko: Ming was injured, badly. We...we had to...

Suki: You had to put her down, didn't you?

Zuko: Yes.

Toph: Oh no.

The group was silent by then, a mournful and grieving quiet. After probably five minutes...

Sokka: We'd better get going.

Katara: No, let's camp for the rest of the night. It's still dark and everyone's tired.

Kuai got up and walked into the woods, looking determined, intrigued more than sad. She looked back at Zuko as a gesture and then kept walking until out of sight. The group looked at him for a little while, then he sighed and walked into the woods (#notreference) after her.

-----------------------------------------

Sorry I didn't get it in yesterday like I said I would. I live in Texas, where the rain has finally stopped and now it's hot and dry...and my air conditioning broke. Well, whatever, this happens every summer anyway. My luck right?

Anyways, sorry that this is as if not more depressing as Chapter 16. I didn't realize I needed it in the plot until I started writing.

Next chapter could also be sad, it's probably the last chapter before an epilogue. You might hate Kuai during it, she gets a little crazy and irrational. But this was planned out beforehand. Don't hate the author, hate the characters.

Stay tuned for Zuai action, depressing crap, and a lot to be angry about.

Remember to read, vote, comment, and follow me! I'm @irishloveoftx and don't forget it!

~IrishLove