Chapter 3 - The Order of the Phoenix

June 24th 1995

Sirius had been here for about two weeks, yet the two of you still acted like strangers with the occasional discussion here and there. You found it rude how he treated Kreacher, and Sirius found it rude how you had the nerve to defend him, this morning being no different.

You woke up to the smell of breakfast, coming from the kitchen. Sighing, you got out of bed to get ready for the day, knowing what would meet you once in the kitchen. Sirius had made Kreacher prepare breakfast again, which in itself wasn't really a crime, however you weren't really comfortable with how Sirius treated the house-elf.

"Good morning." You greeted as you saw Kreacher by the stove, preparing some scrambled eggs.  He didn't reply, only giving you his usual nod. "When you're done here, you can leave the kitchen." Sirius ordered, sitting at the table with a newspaper in his hand. "And make sure to have my clothes washed before lunchtime."

"Yes, Master Sirius."

"Sirius." You began, unsatisfied with his treatment of Kreacher. "I know you're his master and all, but could you at least say please? Just show him a little respect."

"Why? That thing doesn't deserve any." Sirius argued, smugly eating his scrambled eggs from Kreacher. "You really shouldn't be afraid to give him tasks, Y/n. He's a house-elf." "And house-elves deserve respect too." You replied quickly. "That, and breaks. Don't tire him out like this. Treat him how you'd treat any other employee."

"Please, sit down," Sirius changed the subject, acting as if you'd never said anything. "Have some breakfast." "You know what, I'd rather not." You stated, annoyed that Sirius was treating Kreacher so poorly. "I'm going to work." And with that, you were gone.

*******************************

"Sirius, you need to stay here." You could hear Remus' voice coming from the living room, as soon as you'd entered the house. "But we need to find Pettigrew! He doesn't deserve freedom!" Sirius argued, getting louder by the minute. You could tell he was frustrated, though Remus managed to stay calm.

You quickly left your coat in the hallway, wanting to stop the discussion. Sirius needed to know how dangerous his idea would be. "He will be found, Padfoot. Just not now, and just not by you." You could tell from the tone of Remus' voice, that he was trying to calm Sirius down. Merlin, after a stressful day at work, you had expected some time to relax, not this. You had stressed about last night's events all day, writing article after article about Voldemort's alleged return.

"Remus!" You exclaimed, trying to distract them from their fight. "How lovely to see you again." You went in for a hug, greeting your old friend. "How have you been?"

"I'm afraid I haven't been that well lately... It's been hard to find work." He confessed, sitting down on a couch, the change of conversation forcing Sirius to calm down as well. "I'm so sorry to hear that..." You put a hand on his shoulder. Yeah, you'd been giving Remus money, but only when he asked for it. He was a very stubborn and proud man, so it was hard to help him, even if he needed it. "That must be awful, Moony." Sirius finally joined in, a look of sincerity in his eyes. "I think I'll be able to last another month or two." Remus tried to sound positive, even smiling a bit. "If I don't have a job by then, I won't have a place to live either..." His posture seemed to fade as he sunk deeper into the couch. He looked helpless like this.

"You know you can always tell me if you need financial help, Rem." You responded, trying to be of help. But as expected, his answer was the same as always. "No thank you, Y/n. I don't want to be a hindrance for you."

"You could never be, Moony." Sirius replied quickly. "Come stay with us. You need it." It amazed you how direct he could be, and how it seemed to affect Remus. "I really don't want to use you." Remus tried again, interrupted by Sirius who laughed. "Nonsense! I insist." It continued like that for a couple of minutes before Remus finally gave in. It relieved you that Sirius was able to convince him, so maybe it was good to have him around.