5

───

───

the pay wasn't that well, but honestly, mikoto couldn't exactly complain, as she needed a horse for future traveling.

     the woman wondered how a normal human was able to capture all these demons that were shoved in those rusting cages — barely able to move their limbs.

     "and these are the demons with the higher level quirks. we made them quirk restraints so that they can't use it to harm us", the owner — who's name is hakama — explained.

"quirks? what's that?", mikoto questioned, skimming around the musty room.

"huh? it's the power that those monsters are born with. it's a supposed blessing", the man bitterly stated.

'I suppose they call them quirks now...', mikoto mentally noted.

"only those that are born with quirks can become heavenly people. and those that are dumb enough to ruin their chances by committing crimes are stuck being a demon", hakama informed, as if mikoto herself didn't already know.

"however, this one...", hakama pointed, guiding mikoto's sight towards a young girl with grayish-whitish hair and sorrowful red eyes.

"this one was born a demon. unfortunate, isn't it? too bad demons can't be tennins", the old man laughed, walking off, as mikoto made eye contact with the child once more before leaving.

"do you believe that humans could become heavenly people?", mikoto asked, as hakama just gave the woman a list of things to complete by the end of the day.

     the man only scoffed.

     "impossible! no human will ever be capable enough to compete against those that are born gifted. you might as well wait until your next life and manifest a quirk", hakama snorted.

     "anyways, make sure you clean this place up. I have guests coming over to check out these things in a few hours", the man waved, as he swiftly left.

     mikoto just sighed, rolling up her sleeves as she kept them tied up, meanwhile she had gotten her hair out of the way as well.

     the dark-haired woman then covered the lower half of her face with a thin fabric, as she started scrubbing the floors, earning many haughty snickers and taunting from the demons that were currently caged.

"pathetic human! LET US OUT AND FIGHT US!!", one yelled, as another had hollered in agreement.

"YOU HUMANS ARE ABSOLUTE SHIT; TREATING US LIKE PETS AND PROPERTY!!", one proclaimed.