Chapter 3

“I joined the basketball team.” Len was talking to his fangirls. “So I won’t be able to hang out with you guys as much.”

“Oh, it’s okay! We’ll go watch!!” One girl exclaimed.

“Oh, you will? I’m so glad.” Len flashed a dazzling smile which made the girls stare at him with bliss.

Miku and Luka watched him from their seats.

“After school huh?” Miku thought out loud, “Hey, you guys want to hang out after school today?”

Rin looked up from her book, “…I have something I need to do today…”

“Oh…” Miku said, “Then what about you Luka?”

“E-eh? Uh… Sorry… I’m busy these days…” Luka smiled bitterly.

“Oh… I see…” Miku laughed, trying to cover up her disappointed tone. “Looks like everyone found something to do except for me…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m home…” Miku sighed.

“Welcome home!” A voice called from the kitchen.

There was a delicious smell that drifted through the door way. Miku ran to the kitchen slamming the screen open.

“Is that miso soup with leeks onii-chan??” She exclaimed.

He turned around holding a small bowl and smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luka walked out of a convenience store.

“Good work today!” She called into the store.

“Good work!” a voice responded from within.

The automatic doors slid into place behind her. Luka sighed and started walking in the direction of her home.

“Hey you guys want to hang out after school today?”

“…If only I could ever do anything like that…” Luka muttered to herself.

Luka closed her eyes and scenes from the past flashed in her head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Did you go out with another girl today?! How many times are you going to cheat on me?!”

“Shut up you damn woman!”

“Wha—Are you drunk?!”

“I said shut up!”

Luka held up a paper of her drawing she drew in class that day. “Um… Mommy? Daddy? I drew th…”

“Luka, please don’t interrupt us right now. We’re talking about adult stuff.” Her mom responded firmly. “Go to your room to you sister.”

Her dad didn’t spare her a glance and continued smoking.

“O…kay.” She responded.

As she walked up the stairs the shouting and arguing started again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mom! Look what we made in home ec. Today!” Luka was holding a cupcake up and showing her mom.

Her mom was sitting on her chair burying her face in her hands. In front of her was a whole bunch of papers and a note.

Luka put the cake on her papers and stuck a candle on top.

“Happy birthday to me~ Happy birthday to me~” Luka sand while clapping hands. “Mom, you know, I’m going to be 7 to—“

“Shut up.”

“Eh?”

“I said shuT UP.”

“M-mom…?”

“SHUT UP! YOU’RE JUST PRETENDING TOO HUH?! YOU CTUALLY SEE ME AS A BEAST AS WELL HUH! SOONER OR LATER, YOU’LL LEAVE ME JUST LIKE YOUR FATHER LEFT ME!!!!” She screamed.

And all Luka could do was stare at her in shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her mom drowned herself and her dad left Luka and her sister alone. Luka always assumed that it was her fault that her mom died until she finally knew what those papers were.

At the age of 7 and her sister only 1-2 years old, they were sent to her aunt’s family. Her aunt always treated them horribly, called them children of the insane woman.

As time passed, she was finally able to get herself out of it.

…Those were some long dark times…

But even after those times past, she still has to suffer; working many different jobs every day for bother her and her sister’s sakes. She was jealous of people who were carefree and able to play and hangout after school, but she would rather not complain.

After all, this is better than what I had before…

As she walked down the dark empty street, she sensed a presence behind her. She turned around finding no one in sight.

“…”

She walked slowly and when she heard steps behind her, she sprinted.

“Shit!”

She heard a man’s voice say.

So it’s a pervert after all… Well okay. Now I just need to—

Luka’s thoughts were interrupted as she fell a hand from a dark alleyway pull her in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So… What you’re saying is that you feel left behind since they seem to be preoccupied with other things?” Miku’s brother asked while twirling the ladle of the soup.

“Yeah… I fell like I should be doing something as well.” Miku sighed playing with the tuna on her plate. “Mikuo~ What should I do?”

“Ehhh…” Miku filled a bowl of soup and returned it to Miku, who quickly gulped it down and returned it to him for more. “Well, I mean you are trying to catch up with your studies right now, so why not focus on that?”

“Hmmm…” Miku murmured looking into her reflection of the bowl of soup.

“I guess…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mmmmmfh!!!” Luka tried to scream, but her mouth was covered up quickly.

“Shhh… The man is almost gone.” She hear the male say right next to her ear.

“…” Luka silently obliged as the pervert that was chasing her ran past the alleyway.

As the person behind her began to slowly loosen his grip on her mouth and hand, she quickly bit the male’s hand.

“Owww!!!” The captor let go of her hand.

Luka used this chance to run away from the alleyway and to main street.

Her captor didn’t chase after her.

Luka sighed.

Today was a close one… Better be more careful in the future…