Chapter: 30

Standing with a look of utter fear and paranoia stood Rose, with her hair all messy and the trail of tear stains on her beautiful round cheeks. The sight had my hand fly to my chest as it physically hurt to see her in this way. Her bottom lip quivered as I quickly pulled her in my embrace.

While keeping her close in my arms I looked at Hunter and gestured him and the others to go back to my room. Their expressions were as horrified as mine as without a single question leaving their mouths, they quickly rushed back to my room.

Silence wrapped the both of us like a blanket as she shook like some scared kitten, tugging on my tshirt and wept until she started coughing. I quickly started to pat her back, a very feeble attempt to calm her down. I don't even know the reason why was she this petrified, but it scared the hell out of me and a burning desire of ripping the certain someone's head off who made her feel this vulnerable.

I kept my left hand clutching on her, pulling her closer to me and ran my right hand on her smooth hair which almost felt like touching satin. It pained me so much to see her as vulnerable as this. If there was something which was known as fear to me in this cruel world, then it was her, in this form. I prayed silently to myself that may God never, ever make her feel like this ever again.

I guess I would prefer watching myself suffer one thousand times than seeing her like this. I closed my eyes and felt the peace her embrace, the feeling of her warm body against mine, brought to my restless heart.

After a while of holding her close as the scent of vanilla invaded my senses, a force pushed me backwards as I stumbled to the ground and a blinding pain rippled through my spine. It took me a while to gather what just happened as I kept on staring at my hand on the floor which had itself wrapped around her frail posture two seconds ago.

Did she just push me?

I looked up to see something I wasn't very ready to see. A very different expression on her beautiful face as chills settled at the back of my spine. Fear and agony was long gone from her face, now reigned the expression of fury and anger. Her eyes bloodshot, with her chest heaving up and down, and I could almost swear that I just saw fumes in residing in her every exhale. She seemed very less bothered by the fact that I lied on the ground right in front of her eyes, in fact she held pride in her beautiful gaze that I was at her feet.

I quickly scrambled to my feet as fear nestled deep in my chest. She was no longer the Rose I knew, but some other demonic soul embodying her angelic façade. "R..Rose?" I asked as her eyebrows visibly relaxed and I watched her eyes gain the life back it had lost. She drew in an enlarged deep breath and stared right at me.

"Why did you hang up on me? And why did you scream?" she asked, exhaling hot breaths in every syllable she uttered as if she just ran a marathon to come over here. My heart quickened it's pace as she gradually started to walk towards me, but instead of backing down, I stood straight and held her arms at an arm length and looked in her eyes.

"Tell me why are you so flustered and mad? What happened?" I asked as she shrugged my hand off so fast that I swear I could almost hear the sound of her slapping my arms away. It felt as if she despised my touch.

"Just tell me if you are okay and there's no one attacking you" she asked through her gritted teeth. Even the iciest of ice could melt at the sound of her heated voice right now and I hated how I couldn't recognise this tone of her voice.

"Umm, yeah as you can clearly see, I'm standing on my own feet and I'm doing perfectly fine?" I reply with a hint of sarcasm on my tone to lighten the situation but it did anything but lighten the situation.

"I was worried" she says looking straight at my eyes and it slowly starts to dawn on me. It has been barely ten minutes since my friends dropped by and she is standing right in front of me with her tousled hair and messed up mood. She drove all the way from her place in ten minutes just to make sure that I was safe? Because my scream threw her off?

Shouldn't I feel all touched with her gesture of affection towards me? Why is it, instead making me feel all antsy and repulsed?