11

Details

"A vampire invaded Bella's house." Edward announced, walking into our home with a rattled looking Bella. I sped over to the human, taking her arm gently and tugging her over to a couch.

"Are you alright?" I asked, settling beside her.

"Uh, yeah." Bella nodded, watching Edward speak with Jasper and Emmett. Jasper nodded at our brother and then turned to me.

"We're going to track the scent down." He said, speeding to my side. "You'll be okay here?"

"I'll be fine, Jas." I smiled, leaning up and kissing his jaw. "Be safe."

"Always." He smiled softly, racing out of the house with Emmett.

"He'll be able to track the person, right?" Bella asked, sounding worried.

"Of course." I nodded. "He and Emmett are pretty good with tracking. It's how Emmett's able to find bears on hunts, and how Jasper was able to-"

"... Able to what?" Bella asked as I cut myself off. I smiled softly at her and shook my head.

"It's not my backstory to tell, Bella." I said softly. We stayed silent for a moment, waiting for Rosalie, Carlisle, and Esme to join us. We watched Edward pace while we waited, Bella getting more and more tense beside me.

"Who was it?" Carlisle asked, standing beside me. "Someone we know?"

"This stranger," Edward shook his head as Jasper and Emmett entered the house. "I didn't recognize his scent."

"A nomad passing through?" Esme asked, standing beside Rosalie, who was uncharacteristically quiet.

"A passerby wouldn't have left Bella's father alive." The blonde chimed, staring blankly at the floor.

"The scent disappeared about 5 miles South of Bella's house." Jasper informed, standing beside Edward.

"Someone's orchestrating this." Carlisle decided.

"Victoria?" Bella asked, squeezing my hand.

"No," I shook my head. "I would've seen her decide."

"It has to be the Volturi." Edward stated.

"No," I shook my head again. "I don't think it's the Volturi, either. I've been watching Aro's decisions, too."

"So we keep looking." Emmett nodded.

"We'll also take shifts guarding Bella at her house." Carlisle added.

"Another protection detail?" Rosalie scoffed.

"Rosalie." Carlisle warned.

"No, she's right." Bella agreed. "You can't protect me, watch my dad, and search for the intruder."

"And for Victoria." Rosalie added, finally looking at Bella.

"And keep yourselves fed." Bella nodded.

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless." Edward stated.

"Well, I'm not gonna let you starve." Bella countered. "And I wouldn't be unprotected. I have..."

"What?" Edward asked.

"Her wolf." I supplied, getting to my feet.

"Jacob?" Edward scoffed. "Absolu-"

I cut him off by looking into Bella's future, catching glimpses of wolves outside of Bella's house. It was never focused for too long, as I couldn't see the pack in most of my visions, but it was enough to make Edward stumble.