Chapter 8

By the time the group had reached Kellen's house, multiple things had happened:

1.) Two of the four boxes of pizza had been eaten. Let's just say the mortals were surprised at how fast the girls could scarf down pizza.

2.) Lou, Nyssa, and Katie has settled themselves in so well, it seemed like they had been friends with the four boys as long as Connor, Travis, and Will had.

3.) Lastly, they had been attacked by a monster.

Well, it wasn't really a monster, but actually a flock of Stymphaliam birds.

Nyssa had caught a signal from Will and quickly told the others in Greek. Lou swiped a hand through the air and Dean, Kellen, Ivan, and Max slowly sprawled on the ground, leaving them unconscious.

Lou Ellen was suddenly spinning two hunting daggers between her fingers. Katie pulled out her sword, which has been hanging in its shrunken state from the chain around her neck, although she knew it would be harder to get a good hit on the birds with a weapon that big.

Nyssa seemed to realize the same thing as she dropped her sword, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a small piece of metal.

Travis stared incredulously. "Do you always carry a flame-thrower in your pocket?!"

"No," Nyssa stated seriously, before cracking a smirk. "Sometimes it's a demigod-modified version of a taser."

As the first bird dive-bombed them, they got to work.

Will was picking birds out of the air, each arrow finding a target. If the bird wasn't dead after a hit, it was by the time Katie, Connor, or Travis got it with their swords.

Lou Ellen's daggers flew through the air and took out several birds, while Nyssa torched any of then that got within twenty feet of them.

However, there was still the matter of the birds's feathers. They were shot down on the six like razor-sharp arrow tips.

While they were able to dodge then for the most part, they occasionally knicked the group, leaving a light stinging, but not enough to do more than distract them.

Until one of the feathers sliced right across the back of Katie's neck.

She was still healing from where a hellhound had pawed from the top of her neck to her lower back, so the blood that came out was a bit more, thanks to the sensitive skin.

The daughter of Demeter stumbled back, lightly touching her neck and cursing as her hand came away wet with blood. Her distraction lasted a moment to long as she saw a figure diving toward her.

One of the birds had spotted Katie, quickly flying in for the attack. She didn't have enough time to kill it, before it latched onto her arm, she screamed despite herself, and felt the bird go limp a second later, a knife sticking out of it.

But she couldn't properly pay attention, as her vision blurred in and out of focus. She didn't even realize she had fallen to the ground until she felt arms pulling her into a lap, and saw a curly head of hair and the bluest eyes she had ever seen.

Then her mind patched and blurred like a TV without service and the last thing she heard was a screeching sound and a small, yet loud, resonating boom.