Chapter 9

Several days later, Sadie collapsed backwards onto James's bed with a groan, her head hanging off of the edge. James, Sirius, and Remus were crowded around Sirius's bed where a piece of parchment rested in the middle. It was nearing 1:00 in the morning, and Peter was snoring softly on the floor a few feet away from them. They had been trying to work on Sirius's map idea for hours now. The boys' tempers were starting to flare, and Sadie could feel herself approaching that point as well.

"This is getting us nowhere," she grumbled. "I think it's time to put it away and work on it again another time."

The boys hesitated for a moment before nodding wearily. Sirius folded up the parchment and slipped in into his nightstand drawer, yawning widely as he did so.

James curled up next to Sadie. "I'll bet we'll be better able to work on it tomorrow."

"Right..." Sadie looked rather sheepish. "You guys are totally more than welcome to do that, but...it's Hogsmeade tomorrow, and...I've got that date with Gideon..."

Sirius accidentally knocked over an empty goblet that was sitting on his nightstand, but he recovered quickly. "That's right!" He cleared his throat and avoided looking at her. "I forgot about that. Don't worry about it. We'll work on the map, you just go have a good time."

Sadie beamed at him and kissed his cheek on her way out the door. "You guys are the best! I'll see you tomorrow!"

Remus and James turned to look at Sirius as soon as she had left. He scowled at them.

"I don't want to talk about it." And with that, he climbed into bed and yanked the curtains shut, effectively stopping any attempts to talk to him.

Sadie awoke with butterflies in her stomach the next morning. A glance at the clock told her that it was just past five in the morning. She groaned and mentally scolded herself for staying up so late the night before her date. With a sigh, she crawled out of bed and began quietly tending to the many plants on her nightstands and around her section of the dormitory. By the time she was finished, her nerves had calmed significantly. That is, until she started rummaging through her clothes to try and decide what to wear.

After several minutes of this, she let out a frustrated sigh and crept over to where Lily was still slumbering peacefully. The redhead was an incredibly light sleeper, so it took only the slightest of nudges to wake her up.

"Sadie?" She groaned, squinting against the light coming in from the window. "What time is it?"

"About 6:30..." Sadie answered apologetically. "But I really need your help."

Lily yawned and sat up reluctantly. "Alright...what do you need?"

"I have no idea what to wear to Hogsmeade today..." Sadie bit her lip sheepishly.

Lily stared at her. "You woke me up for that? Aren't you just hanging out with the boys like usual?" Then, her eyes widened. "Wait a minute! You do fancy Sirius, don't you?!"

Sadie glared at her. "No! Godric, why did I ever tell you about that?!"

Lily raised her eyebrows skeptically. "Well then why do you care about looking nice for Hogsmeade?"

"Because I'm not going with the boys!" Sadie hissed in response. "I'm going with Gideon!"

"You're WHAT?!" Lily yelled, causing the other girls to jolt awake. Alice leapt out of bed and grabbed her wand.

"What's going on?!"

Lily was still staring at Sadie. "And you didn't think to mention this earlier?!" She turned to look around at the other girls. "Sadie is going out with Prewett today!"