Chapter 13

Normally, Sirius was one of the very last people to go to bed after a party, so when he left after only a few minutes of the celebration competing Gryffindor's victory against Slytherin, James, Remus, and Peter exchanged worried glances and slipped up to their dormitory behind him. He was laying flat on his bed and staying blankly up at the ceiling. The other three boys sat down quietly on the edge of James's need, which was right next to Sirius's. It was several moments before he spoke, and, when he did, his voice sounded hollow.

"I always figured she'd end up in some sort of relationship eventually. I just didn't expect it to hurt this much." Since their very public kiss after the match, Sadie and Gideon didn't seem to be able to keep their hands off of each other. Whether they were holding hands, snuggling, or stealing quick kisses, they hadn't stopped touching since the end of the game. At this point, Sirius had begun to feel a bit nauseous.

Remus sighed. "Sorry, Pads. Do you think maybe it's time to...you know...move on?"

Sirius turned to scowl at him. "I've already tried that lots of times." James rolled his eyes.

"Casual flings and snog sessions with any random girl who makes eyes at you don't count."

"Well, it's not my fault none of them hold a candle to her!" Snapped Sirius.

James held his hands up. "We're just saying that it might be helpful for you to try out an actual, you know, relationship. Something more long term. Actually get to know someone. Maybe find out you like her as much as or more than Sadie. And, if it doesn't work out that way, you're no worse off than you are now!"

Sirius grudgingly considered his friend's suggestion. He rubbed a hand over his face tiredly. "I wouldn't even know who to ask."

To their surprise, it was Peter who piped up with an answer. "Cynthia Schaeffer," he said promptly, as though he had given this a fair bit of thought. The other boys stared at him in disbelief.

"Cynthia Schaeffer?!" James spluttered. "I can't think of a single girl who's less like Sadie!"

"Exactly," Peter responded. "He's never going to get over Sadie if the only girls he ever dates are just Sadie 2.0; he'll just be thinking of her the whole time."

Remus and James were staring at Peter in shock. "That...actually makes a lot of sense..." Remus nodded slowly. The three of them turned to look back at Sirius. His brow was furrowed in thought, and a smile was slowly working its way onto his face.

"Cynthia's hot..." he admitted, and the other boys grinned, knowing they had won.

***************

If Sadie was cute, Marlene was hot, and Lily was pretty, then Cynthia Schaeffer was supermodel material. Her sleek, shiny black hair fell halfway down here back, and the blue hue of her eyes was otherworldly. She had a figure that most girls would kill for, and she practically bled confidence. Yes, Cynthia Schaeffer knew she was gorgeous, and one look from her was enough to send most boys running with their tails between their legs.

Fortunately, Sirius Black was not most boys. At breakfast the next morning, he entered the Great Hall and swaggered casually over to the Ravenclaw table, where Cynthia was sitting with her friends. The other girls giggled as he did into the seat next to her. Cynthia merely quirked an eyebrow, but there was the barest hint of an intrigued gleam in her intelligent eyes.

"Hey, Cyn." Sirius flashed her his most charming smile. "Can I call you Cyn?"

"It would seem you just did," the Ravenclaw responded with a slight smirk.

Sirius grinned.

Over at the Gryffindor table, the other boys were watching the exchange with bated breath. Sadie was nestled comfortably against Gideon's side as she chatted happily with the other fifth year girls. Suddenly, Alice let out a gasp.

"Is... Is Sirius trying to chat up Cynthia?"

Everyone else's gazes shot toward the Ravenclaw table just in time to see Sirius help Cynthia out her seat and lead her out of the Great Hall. Sadie shook her head and laughed.

"Well, I'll be darned. Go Sirius!"

"Talk about nerve!" Marlene said disbelievingly. "Nobody goes after Cynthia Schaeffer. You wait for Cynthia Schaeffer to come after you." The people around them nodded emphatically in agreement.

Sadie shrugged. "Well, I suppose if anyone's got a chance, it's Sirius."

Gideon frowned. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well, I mean, he's kind of insanely attractive! And hilarious. And super sweet," she told him matter-of-factly. "Practically every girl at Hogwarts has had a thing for him at some point or another."

"Oh, is that so?" Gideon scoffed. Sadie's friends were watching the exchange with wide eyes.

Sadie nodded obliviously. "Well, yeah. He's pretty much the perfect guy!" She declared loyally.

Gideon scowled and removed his arm from seeing her waist before standing up. "Well, if that's how you feel... whatever, Sadie. I've got to get to class."

"Wait...Gid!" She called after him in confusion.

Lily groaned from across the table. "Merlin, that was painful. Honestly, Sadie, I thought you had more tact than your brother." James's jaw dropped indignantly.

"You can't just go gushing about some other guy to your boyfriend!" Marlene shook her head.

"I wasn't gushing!" Sadie defended. Her friends stared at her. "I wasn't! And, besides, Sirius is my best friend! I can talk about how great he is!"

"Well," Marlene began slowly as though she was explaining something to a child. "You and Sirius are super close, and you flirt pretty much constantly. Don't you think it's fair for Gideon to feel at least a little threatened by your relationship?"

"We don't flirt..." Sadie argued weakly, but she gave up at her friends' raised eyebrows. "Oh, dear. I suppose I'd better go find Gideon and apologize..." She grabbed her bag and hurried out of the hall.

Alice sighed. "Do you think she'll ever figure it out?"

"She and Prewett are so cute together," Mary said wistfully. "But, boy, what I wouldn't give to have someone look at me the way that Sirius looks at her."

The other fifth years nodded slowly in agreement.