Chapter 11

The next evening, Sadie and the boys (minus Remus, who was already in the Hospital Wing waiting for Madam Pomfrey to take him to the Shack) were walking with the rest of their house back up to the common room after dinner. James, Sirius, and Peter were goofing off and laughing loudly. Sadie, however, was chewing her lower lip anxiously as s thought back on the encounter she'd had that afternoon on her way to class.

Sadie cursed silently to herself as she rushed through the corridors, moving as quickly as possible while still avoiding tripping over her robes. There had been a line at the girls' bathroom, and now she was running late for Charms. She glanced down at the watch on her wrist and let out a sigh of relief; as long as she didn't get held up by anything else, she was sure she would be able to make it just in time. It was at that moment that she felt someone snatch her arm and yank her into an unused classroom. Her mouth opened to let out a scream, but it came out muffled as a hand instantly slapped over her mouth.

"Don't," a voice warned as she wrestled against the arms holding her. "I'm not going to hurt you. But we need to talk." With a flick of the person's wand, the room lit up, and Sadie slowly turned to see Sirius's brother gazing at her with wide eyes. He hesitantly released his hold on her.

"Regulus?" Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. "What..."

"Listen," he cut her off. "This is important."

Sadie frowned at him. "Can't it wait?" She looked back down at her watch and groaned. There was no way she could make it to class on time now. "You've made me late for class."

Regulus shook his head. "No one can know that I'm talking to you. It would cause some pretty major issues for me." Sadie continued to eye him warily, but she boosted herself up to sit on one of the desks.

"Alright then," she sighed resignedly, but she wrapped her fingers around her wand, just in case. "Let's hear it."

Regulus held eye contact with her and spoke calmly. "I don't know what you and your friends are up to this evening, but you need to cancel it." Sadie rolled her eyes with a scoff and made to get up and leave. "No, listen. Some of the Slytherins are working on...something. I don't know exactly what. But they've gotten it in their heads that you're out to put a stop to it. They're planning an ambush."

Sadie's eyes widened for a moment before narrowing once more. "Why would you be telling me this?"

Regulus's jaw clenched, and he stared at her silently before averting his gaze uncomfortably. Realization dawned, and Sadie felt her gaze soften as she reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Tell me what you know," she requested gently. "And I promise I'll do everything I can to keep him safe."

He swallowed hard and slowly brought his eyes back up to hers. "I only know what I've overheard. I know that there aren't that many of them involved, and they aren't supposed to let anyone else in on it. They're planning on catching you unawares as you leave your common And a few of them will be waiting just outside the castle just in case that falls through." He shrugged helplessly. "That's all I've heard. But I know them, and I don't doubt that they would resort to...extreme measures...if they were to catch you."

Sadie chewed on her lip, brow furrowed. "Right..." She took a deep breath smiled at him tentatively. "Thank you. I'll take care of it." Regulus gave her a curt nod and turned to leave. His hand was on the door when Sadie called out. "Oh, and Regulus?" He paused and turned to look back at her, eyebrows raised. She gave him a sympathetic smile. "He loves you, you know."

The fourth year seemed frozen for a second as he stared at her. A muscle jumped in his jaw, and he opened his mouth to speak, but then he shook his head, seeming to think better of it, before opening the door and leaving without another word.