Chapter 6: Cassiopeia

| Cassiopeia: The beautiful mother constellation |

 As the legend goes, Cassiopeia, a vain queen, boasted that she was more beautiful than the sea nymphs called the Nereids. Her claim angered Poseidon, god of the sea, who sent a sea monster called Cetus to destroy the kingdom.

Even from his fairly secluded office, Koumei could tell that the palace was extra busy. The quick footfalls of servants echoed in the marble halls along with the excited chatter of young maids. It seemed that something big was happening at the palace.

He frowned, usually he knew exactly what was going on at the palace at all times. Koumei couldn't think of an event that would warrant all the extra work and attention from the servants.

He ran through his mental calendar, there were no important anniversaries or birthdays that cause such a ruckus.   

A knock came from the door and Koumei called out for them to enter. A dark-skinned male servant that Koumei vaguely recognized opened the heavy door and bowed his head.

"Good afternoon, Prince Koumei. Would you like lunch here or will you be joining the commander and Crown Prince in the grand hall?"

"Commander?"

"Forgive me, Commander Zhao of the Prime East Naval Fleet has arrived in the capital and is to dine with Prince Kouen."

"Oh yes, of course. I will be joining them, no need to bring over my meal."

Commander Zhao was not supposed to come in for another month but apparently his ship had come into port early. Koumei remembered that the commander had mentioned requesting a meeting with the Emperor. If he had returned from overseas early then it was most likely that the Emperor now had an urgent need of him.

Koumei wondered about what the meeting would be about, it wasn't often that Commander Zhao came to the imperial palace himself so it had to be something important. A small frown tugged Koumei's mouth downward, he didn't like being out of the loop when it comes to information.

A sour taste filled his mouth, whenever Koumei's father schemed without him, it was never good.

"Will I also be joining?"

Koumei quickly looked to the side, startled by the sudden question from Tolui. He had forgotten that she was sitting in a corner of his office. She was blindfolded to keep her from looking at any documents, all she could do was clumsily braid and unbraid her hair to keep herself busy.

"Wha-"

"Or are you going to keep me here in the dark all day?"

"No, you will also be joining me. However, you must not speak in the commander's presence. You must not speak unless directly spoken to, is that clear?"

"Of course." Tolui responded with an exasperated sigh.

"When will the lunch be taking place?" Koumei asked, turning back to the male servant.

"In an hour and a half, my prince."

"Go and fetch Wenru, tell her to prepare some formal clothes for the princess and myself." Koumei said as he offhandedly gestured to Tolui.

The servant bowed and exited the room, softly closing the door behind him. 

"You sure are busy, working all day and now having lunch meetings. I hope you're given an award or something for all your hard work."

"It is my duty and honor to work for the empire."

"Yeah, but do you like it? I know that I would go crazy if I had to stay cooped up in this room all day." Tolui said while letting out a small laugh.