Chapter 3: Corona Borealis

|Corona Borealis: The Northern Crown constellation |

The god Bacchus had fallen in love with theabandoned Ariadne and treated her with great tenderness. He had a crown madefor her with the most beautiful jewels and gave it to her which was then cast into the sky after her death.

A maid with dark hair pulled up into a neat bun fluttered around Koumei's face, delicately applying concealer to his face with a long brush. She dabbed on thicker layers of makeup over his darker acne scars in an attempt to cover them. The small taps from the brush's bristles slightly tickled Koumei's face, but he tried his best to not move.

"Why do you have to do that? Isn't it kind of annoying?" Tolui asked from over on a low couch. Koumei opened an eye and glanced at her.

"This may seem like a casual banquet to you, but it is a dinner hosted by the Crown Princess. I must look presentable, and that means hiding these ugly pockmarks." Koumei responded with a snarky tone.

Tolui seemed to mutter something to herself which Koumei couldn't hear but he knew she was criticizing his decision. He let out a quiet sigh and closed his eye again.

Of course she wouldn't understand, Koumei could almost bet his life on the fact that she had never struggled with bad skin before. 

"Hey, so Kouen and Sindri's marriage ties Kou and Sindria in a peace treaty right?"

"Crown Prince Kouen." Koumei corrected with a twinge of annoyance. It irked him at how casually Tolui referred to his brother as if they were close.

"Of course, Crown Prince Kouen. So there's no way that Sindria would help an enemy of Kou in any way? Not even with minor support?" Tolui asked curiously, her voice had a weird tone of innocence mixed with something more sinister.

"Absolutely not. That would null the whole point of an alliance." Koumei scoffed. It seemed like Touli was all beauty and no brain, how could she not even understand the simple concept of an alliance? What a disappointment, she was just like all of the other women that roamed the palace with empty heads and greedy hearts. 

"But doesn't a peace treaty have different conditions than an alliance?"

Koumei pushed the maid's hands away and turned to look at Tolui. He gave her a dark look of suspicion. 

"While that may be true, I doubt Sindri would ask her brother to help any enemy of her husband. Kouen and Sindri had an arranged marriage, but in a lucky twist of fate, it turned to one of love however unlikely that may be for political marriages. So push any thoughts of recruiting Sindri as an ally from your mind." Koumei snapped. He slightly smirked with satisfaction as Tolui's face fell and her mouth opened with surprise.

"I- I, I wasn't-"

"Save your excuses, I don't want to hear them. I know you're an enemy hostage, you won't catch me off guard again."

"You misunderstand me, I simply wanted to learn more about the politics of this world. There isn't a lot of knowledge about other countries out in the plains." Tolui said after a few moments of silence. Her face lifted back into a demur smile almost as if she hadn't lost her composure earlier. Koumei felt slightly unnerved that her face could change in emotions so quickly.

"My prince, may I continue?" The maid asked politely. 

"By all means, Wenru, please continue." Koumei responded apologetically, closing his eyes and turning back to the maid in charge of getting him ready. After a few moments of touching up his face, Wenru backed away. She had finished with Koumei's makeup and was moving onto his hair.