Chapter 4

Vance's P.O.V.

Even though Maia is eight, she has a bloody strong grip. She has grabbed hold onto her bed, determined not to leave Sunspear.

"I don't want to leave!" she bawls. "Don't make me leave Vance!"

"We have to leave to see Uncle Robb," I sigh tiredly.

"I don't like Uncle Robb," Maia sobbs.

"You have never met him," I point out and grab her feet.

Maia answers in tears. I yank harder than before trying to pull her from the bedposts. Seven hells she was strong.

"Let go Maia," I beg.

"No," she answers firmly.

"Father will punish you," I point out.

"Father would never lay a hand on me," Maia responds. "He only hits Killian when he is being rude."

So she is smart as well as strong...great. I pull with all of my strength but she keeps holding on and crying.

"What's going on?" says an airy voice from outside the chamber.

I turn my head to see Serenity looking puzzled at us but in her usual calm matter.

"Maia is holding a stand against leaving," I explain.

Serenity flickers a smile then walks over to Maia. She crouches down next to Maia and whispers something in Maia's ear then Maia lets go of the bars of the bed and stands up and runs off.

"How did you do that?" I ask bewildered.

"For me to know and for you to never find out," she replies.

I smirk then pounce onto her and begin to tickle her ribs. We understand each other. Something I cannot explain. Serenity and I fill each other. I would do anything for her.

"Here is your little sister Vance," says Father and holds the little baby in front of me.

I hold out my chubby arms at the age of four and Father gives her to me in her arms. She was pale unlike Cleo and Caprio but with the same dark hair and deadly black eyes that were closed, wrapped in blankets. I took a deep intake of breath as Father places her in my arms. I felt something I had never felt before and I couldn't explain this feeling. Her eyes suddenly opened and stared directly into mine. I cradled her closer into my arms.

"Serenity," I murmur.

"What did you say Vance?" Cleo asks.

"Her name is Serenity," I repeat not taking my eyes off her.

"That's for Mother and Father to decide," Cleo says.

"Her name is Serenity," I reply agitated.

"You have to give her back now Vance," Father says.

"No!" I shout causing Serenity to begin to cry.

"Vance give your sister back," Father commands.

"NO!" I scream at my Father, something I would never do.

I turn into a russet wolf and carry Serenity in the blankets in my jaws and bound off.

"VANCE YOU COME BACK RIGHT NOW!" my Father bellows.

I pound out of Storm's End with the wind blowing through my fur and whistling at my ears. Serenity's cries sound like a distant sound. I stop at a forest and hide behind a tree behind a tree. I shuddered and a heat passed through every bone in my body and I was a boy again carrying the tiny girl. As soon as she saw me as a human she stopped crying and looked calm as if nothing happened. I pulled her closer to my body to see how much more of that feeling I could get. It was addicting and I just wanted more and more. She was one the most precious things to ever happen to me.