Knowing you

I like you

      That kept ringing in my head, and it bothered me more than it should. Does she like, like-like me? It was pretty confusing. Does that mean she’s…? I really don’t know, I laughed. I was asking myself questions that I couldn’t answer; only Cara can.

      Though she said that I should let it go and forget about it, I was eager to ask her the questions that kept me up that night I slept over her house. I woke up before she did, she is one of the people I know that actually looks good when sleeping.

      I kind of watched her for a few minutes, noticing her pointed nose and high cheekbones; she really had amazing bone structure. But then I decided that I was being creepy and washed my face and brushed my teeth.

When I came out of the bathroom she was already awake, “Hey, good morning.” I said, leaning onto the bathroom door.

“Good morning.” She said, still a little groggy.

“How do you feel?”

“Stiff,” she answered, “very stiff, I can feel yesterday’s regrets much more now. It hurts twice as it did yesterday.” I noticed that she slept in one position, unlike me who slept in one hundred positions.

She eyed the clock that rested beside her bed next to the lamp, “8 o’clock, breakfast should be ready by now.”

“I’ll go get you some, and I’ll refill this too.” I said, grabbing the icepack which was on the floor now; it formed a little pool.

Before I could get out of the door Cara called out, “Hey Melissa,” I turned, “thanks.” Then she smiled, I did too.

“No problem.”

      I was met by the smell of bacon whilst making my way downstairs. Josie was already preparing breakfast, there was a tray that had two plates with sunny side up eggs on it, and by the time I reached downstairs she put the fire to a stop and turned around to put the strips of bacon on the plates.

“Oh hey, dear.” Josie greeted when she saw me, “Good morning.” I said good morning back.

“Thank you for this meal, uhh…”

She looked at me, “Josie, you can call me Josie.”

I laughed, “Yes, Josie, Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” She smiled very brightly when she said that, “So, dear, what would you like to drink? Coffee, tea or OJ?”

“Uhh, tea, please.”

“Okay, here we go.” She pours hot water into a mug then fixes a teabag in. She places it along the tray. While she did that I refilled the icepack with new ice. “We rarely drink tea here; Cara is more of a coffee person. Would you mind taking this upstairs dear?”

“No not at all, thanks again Josie.”

···

“Why don’t you like tea?” I asked Cara while we were eating in her room.

“What?”

“Tea, Josie said you don’t like it, why?”

“Well, why do you like it?”

I looked at her with a defeated expression, and then I laughed, “I don’t know, it has a unique taste which I like; and it’s supposedly good for you.”

“Hmm, well it’s just, it’s unappealing to me, you know? I like coffee better.”

“Coffee makes people jumpy and weird. Maybe that’s why you’re weird.” I said, obviously teasing.