5: A Year of Healing

--- APRIL 23rd 2017 ---

Three children stood around him, gazing at the strange white man. They shot each other nervous looks as they continued to stare, wanting to ask questions but refusing to wake him. When they saw his eyes flutter, they bolted for the door.

Thus started Bucky's year of healing.

He groaned as he got up from his straw bed.  When Shuri and him arrived at the town, it was sundown and people were already heading into their homes. Shuri was sweet enough to set him up with some clothes and food before she left for the city that night, allowing Bucky to make himself at home in his little clay hut.

Today, though, was a new day: today Bucky would meet the townspeople.

Bucky looked around aimlessly, unsure of what to do first. He watched the kids run to the hut next to his, only to have an older woman walk out.

She looked like she was in her 60s with grey hairs peppered throughout her black braids. Though she walked with a cane marked with an amber stone at the helm, she looked strong as an ox with a face of a thousand winters.

Her gaze eventually met Bucky's and she smiled. She slowly approached the man, shining with the kindness and warmth only a mother could give.

"Hello, Sargeant Barnes, correct?"

"You can call me Bucky."

"Bucky! What a sweet name." She smiled. "Please excuse my boys. They are just curious. And my English: I am still learning"

Bucky nodded. "Totally get it. And your English is great!"

"Good!" She smiled, wrapping her hands around his. "Everyone here calls me mother. You can do the same, if you are comfortable. Or Hadiza."

He nodded, shaking her hand. "Thank you, Hadiza. I believe Shuri has already told you of me."

"Oh yes! You and Songbird. So sorry to lose your homeland. But your English is much better than hers, we learned the language together."

Huh. She really played the Polish card well.

Bucky nodded. "Yes, I was raised bilingual."

"Oh how wonderful!" Hadiza remarked. "Well, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. We want to make sure you feel welcome here."

With that, Hadiza turned to return to her hut. Bucky glanced around the area, before turning back to her.

"Actually..."

Hadiza turned around.

"I have some questions. Just... About the area."

"Ah, of course!" Hadiza beamed, glad to be of help. "This lake in front of us is where we get our drinking water. It is the source for the nearby river, where we wash our clothes and give our livestock water. The people in the village are either elders or craftsmen, with farmers like Songbird living closer to the river."

Bucky nodded, taking mental notes. "Bow-- Songbird mentioned that you guys helped build her house. How did she afford that?"

"Barter," Hadiza responded. "She is young and strong. She offered help to us for harvest if we helped her in the future. And materials she got at market."

"Market?"

"Yes! It comes through town at the end of summer. Our villages come together to share regional goods. We have lots of food and spices while others have good wood for homes. She traded her grains for wood."

"Got it," Bucky nodded, soaking all the new information in.

"I am assuming you ask because you would also like a house?"

"Well, yes..." Bucky responded. "Songbird's home looks really nice, and I'd love something similar."

"Though maybe with fewer goats!" Hadiza chuckled, picking up a wicker basket and placing it on her hip. "Songbird is attached to those things like they are her own children. She'd make an amazing mother if she weren't so animal-crazy!"

Hadiza continued to laugh before walking in the direction of her children.

"Just let me know if you need anything, Bucky. My sons are quite strong and can help you get started here."

Bucky nodded, waving his hand in a gesture of thanks. She sauntered off, basket on her hip, ready to return to today's workload.

As for Bucky, he was unsure of what to do next. It was strange not having a mission to complete or your decisions made for you. Bucky returned to his hut to draw out a plan.

Bucky lifted the well-woven mat that made up the floor of his hut. Then, using a stick, he sketched out some ideas.

"A farm would be nice..." Bucky mumbled to himself as he drew out the design. "... Just the life of a simple farmer. Can't get much freer than that. I'll just need some wood, nails, building materials... And help. A whole lotta help."

"You'll need more than that, Buck."

Bucky jolted in surprise, looking up to see none other than Songbird.

"Don't you have some goats to take care of?"

"Actually, yes, but that's against the point." She smirked. "Don't let the townspeople see this cause they're kinda traditional, but here's a PDA. Shuri updated me on your treatment plan and established me as the communicator between the city and you, since I'm less suspicious."

Bucky nodded, taking the PDA from her.

"Shuri will be coming here tomorrow to take you into the city for your first session. As far as anyone in the village knows, you're going to the city for physical therapy considering the whole not-having-an-arm thing. If you have any questions or just need a fresh breath of air from Hadiza and Abner, feel free to visit my farm under the guise of help."

"Abner?"

"You haven't met him yet? He's the carpenter's apprentice, Hadiza's eldest. Sweet kid, just... Well, you'll see," she giggled. "And love the little farm drawing, by the way. Wish I could frame it."

With that, Songbird scampered off with a snicker. Bucky just grunted before glancing at the PDA.

This was going to be interesting.