8: Got Goats?

--- MAY 2nd 2017 ---

It was a normal day on the farm for Song Bird.

She woke up at the crack of dawn to the sound of her one rooster and went out to check on the hens. Then, she fed the goats (and herself) breakfast before working in her personal garden and spare fields. After a day's work, she'd come in to make dinner and unwind with some practice speaking Wakandan.

Today was not going to be like that.

As Song Bird was throwing together some yams and spices in a cast iron pan, she was surprised to hear a knock at the door.

"Come in!"

The door swung with a mighty force as she heard the stumbling step of a tall figure lurch through the frame.

"Howya doing Bucky?"

"How'd you know it was me?"

"It sounds like you." She responded, turning around with a plate of cooked yams. "Want some breakfast?"

"I won't say no to free food," Bucky chuckled, walking over to serve himself a plate. She handed him her plate before going to make herself a second serving.

"Oh, this breakfast isn't free. I could use another set of hands today, and it's a task I think you'd actually enjoy."

"Oh yeah?" Bucky questioned with a mischievous grin, stuffing a fork full of yams in his mouth before continuing. "And wath would dath be?"

"It's milking day!"

*Gulp*

---

Song Bird bent under the hatch that housed her goats, gently prodding then with a stick to get them to stand.

"C'mon Miękki! Koza!" She groaned, lightly prodding their legs and guiding them to stand. Miękki was hesitant to stand as she had three small kids around her, but they needed to get up and get some exercise too.

Bucky just stood their awkwardly.

"So... Goats?"

"Yeah! Aren't they just the cutest things? A lot of the locals use them for meat in the fall, but I've decided to just keep them for milk and company. Miękki gave birth just a few days ago... Ooh! You could help me name them!"

"The goats?"

"Yeah! Miękki had three kids and I haven't had the time to name them. For being only about a week old, they're spunky little things!"

Koza walked out from the shelter, taking a look of his surroundings before letting out a loud bleat. At the sound, his lovely wife Miękki walked out with the three kids glued to her sides.

"The kids are really dependent on their Ma, but that'll change with time. They're still early in the nursing phase, but they're already starting to develop their own little personalities."

Bucky watched as two of the kids broke off from their mother, wandering around the decently sized pasture Song Bird had fenced out. The smallest stayed glued to his mother's side.

"What's up with him?"

"Oh, he's the runt. Big mama's boy. But once he gets going, he acts so friggin headstrong! it's obnoxious sometimes." Song Bird walked up to the baby goat, sliding her hand between the baby and the mother.

"It's okay little one, you can explore! Thaaaaaat's it..." she cooed, slowly coercing the runt to walk independently of his mother. The second he got to walking, he took a running start for one of the fenceposts. Before Song Bird could stop him, the baby goat headbutted the fence post and fell right over.

"Is he okay?" asked Bucky, but before he could get his whole question out, he saw the baby goat stand up like nothing happened... Right before running headfirst into the same fence post.

"Steve."

"What?"

"We're naming the goats, right? That one's Steve."

Song Bird laughed, enjoying the slight roast of their good friend. "Steve it is. We still got to name the other two."

Bucky looked at the second goat: she was a sweetie and stayed by Song Bird's side like a lost puppy. Every time Song Bird took a step forward to seed the grass, the kid would take three small trots to stay beside her.

"I think I'm going to call this one Titania," Song Bird beamed.

"Why Titania?"

Song Bird shrugged. "She looks like a Titania. Isn't that right, Tina?"

"Baaaa!"

Song Bird giggled, bending down to let the baby goat have some seeds as a treat. "See? Even she agrees! Now, what are we naming the last one?"

Bucky turned to see the last goat who was very obviously the leader of the siblings. He was scouting the yard, sniffing everything around him and watching over his siblings. However, he was not the most handsome kid, and that's not just because he was a goat: he had a tooth sticking out from his lower jaw that made him look perpetually stupid.

"How about Tony?"

"Tony?" Song Bird stated quizically. "Who's Tony?"

Bucky shrugged. "Oh, no one. He just looks like a Tony."

The sheep bleated angrily.

"More like Tiny. Come here, Tiny!"

The little goat came trotting over to Song Bird, joining his sister in eating their snack of seeds.

"Oh please, they only came over to you because you had food!"

THUD.

Bucky looked down to see Steve had headbutted him in the knees. The mix of the baby goat's dazed state and Bucky's confusion sent Song Bird doubling over with laughter.

"Not all of them! Steve seems to like you!"

Bucky looked back at the tiny dazed goat. After shaking his head and getting his footing, Steve looked up at Bucky before going to headbutt his shin again.

"Baaaa!"