Mountain Songs (Part 5)

Walking along the path worn by my own two feet, I make the trek through the trees. It's been three weeks since XD was relocated into the glass enclosure. Although I can't say much about the glass. It's been shattered and melted in places from XD's boredom. It's not like he wants to escape. I've warned him that if he leaves the field where the house is nestled, then he can count our friendship over. 

     It really is a beautiful morning, the birds sing above and the leaves rustle with a breeze. Natures song drifts in the wind and I whistle along. I hear the forest go silent at my unexpected addition to the song, but then resume, letting me take place in the gorgeous harmony. I realize how much I've missed XD when I step into the clearing, seeing the house and the sun hitting it from the side.

Well... not that badly. 

     He is nowhere in sight, but I know exactly where he'll be even before I hear it. A voice reaches my ears and I am treated to a lovely serenade. The song is slow and sad, but with such power as well. I listen closely to catch the words...  I think it is about a woman and her love who has left far away.

How can I, Blythe in cheerful be? 

How can I flaunt in ribbons' grace?

That make the teardrop stealthily flow,

Tis thinking on him, who's far away

Tis not the winter storm and snow 

Tis not the sky, so cold and gray

That make the teardrop stealthily flow

Tis thinking on him, who's far away

The dreary winter passes by 

And flowers return, with laughing may

The birches show, their bloom on high

Soon he'll come home, who's far away

Soon

Soon he'll come home, who's far away

Soon he'll come home who's far away...

     I let him finish the beautiful song. It seems old as time and it sounds like a lullaby. The last note on 'away' he holds so long and so high, it seems impossible for a man of his stature to sing. I have to remind myself that even though he seems like a normal man in a weird costume, nothing is impossible for him. I take a deep breath and reveal myself from behind the birch I was standing behind.

"What was that?"  I arrogantly tease. I have a standard to uphold, no matter the circumstances.

"A song. If I had a mother, I feel she would've sung it to me before sleep." He replies. My presence seems not to have scared him, for he doesn't turn to meet my gaze.

"Oh yeah that's great..." I respond as I sit next to him in the shade of his favorite tree. It's an apple tree in the middle of a field with twisting branches.

    He doesn't respond to my distasteful remark, just sits and gazes at my half lidded eyes.

"Stop doing that will you?" I scoff.

"Doing what?"

"That!" 

"I don't know what I'm doing." He innocently replies.

"You're giving me that look again." 

"What look?" He says as he tilts his head to the side playfully. It amazes me how he still manages to convey a wide spectrum of emotions through a mask.

     I stay silent as I turn away. Out of all the questions I've asked him, it's never been as personal as the one I yearn to ask him. Out of all the prodding backstory rants or all of my non-stop sarcasm, he never ceases to give me nothing but puppy love.

"Hey... XD?" I hesitantly ask.

"Hmm?"

"What's.. what's under your mask?" I turn back to face him and stare at the white circle covering his face. Cracks decorate the sides from wear and tear. 

"Oh uhm..." It takes him a few seconds to respond, his deep voice wavering for the first time.

"Friends can tell each other anything."

"Yes!" He inches closer, my simple statement clearly means a lot to him.

"So, what's your face like?" I inch closer as well, my arm stretching slowly towards.

"I- I uh... Why're you getting so close?" He puts both his arms behind him to catch himself from falling backwards. He leans away slightly as I put my left arm to his side to hold myself up.

"Just a peek." My fingers close around the rim and I begin to tug slowly.

     He lays down fully and it's then I realize what we look like. With me on my knees and my arm on the ground over him, his elbows propping up his upper half with one of his legs bent up and to the side, we look like... oh ew. It's too late to pull away frantically, my fingers have already tore away his mask.

"George!" He exclaims as the mask fully comes away.

     I can't help but gasp as I get a full view of what lies beneath the mysterious covering that's been concealing his face for as long as I've known him.