Blue (Part 13)

George's POV

"Ok, it's ok. You're ok."

      I rub my arms, soothing myself. It's another panic attack. It's been two days and XD has made progress on the bedrock. Since he doesn't sleep, he's been working non-stop and the seemingly unbreakable rock is nearly gone. Just an inch between us and the void. When he first made a dent in the bedrock, he had sent me a telepathic message. I can never get used to those; it wasn't any language I understood, he was too excited.

"☌⟒⍜⍀☌⟒! ☊⍜⋔⟒ ☌⎍⟟☊☍, I ⎅⟟⎅ ⟟⏁! ☊⍜⋔⟒ ⌇⟒⟒!"

"Huh?!" I had questioned aloud. I was in the middle of the forest at that time, forgetting that I couldn't send a message back.

     What had caused my panic, it's quite simple, really. I'm about to hurl myself into the void. I have about an hour before his life will end, an hour before I continue without him. The plan is simple, I've been avoiding thinking about it much lately, mainly so he couldn't read my mind. But also because I didn't want to think of how it will be. How I'll see the realization dawn on him at the very last moment, the sparkle leave his eyes. Complete betrayal. 

     He doesn't realize it, but he has aided in his very downfall, literally handed me the very thing I need to kill him. I hunch over further, hiding my panicked expression from no one in particular. The tears haven't fallen, my eyes remain dry, my arms shake only with anticipation. In one fluid move, I get up and walk confidently to his house, the late afternoon sun on my face. I do not plan to see it again, I never want to see it.

"XD!" I call into the garden sweetly. "I'm back!"

DreamXD's POV - 3 hours earlier

This is a bad idea! This isn't safe! I don't want to die... Ghostbur whispers softly from a corner in my mind, I finally told him George's plan, he wouldn't shut up about it.

If you want to live so badly, then just leave! I snap back at him, he and I both know that he is the only one keeping himself here. He can leave whenever he wants.

Maybe I will. He only whispers, his small voice sounding hurt and indignant.

     I wait for him to say something else, I'm still hacking away at the bedrock with my bare fists. I wish a tool would be faster, but this is the only method that works, I've found. After a few minutes of silence, I do not pause my task, simply retreat into my mind to talk to him again. I feel bad.

Ghostbur? I think towards his blue-stained corner.

I don't want to die, I'm going. His meek voice replies.

Ok... Can I help? I sullenly reply.

I guess so... He shifts forward, taking control. This time, I let him.

Where are we going? I inquiry. This time, my voice is barely a whisper and I've been pushed into the dark corner he usually resides in.

To find me a new host, hopefully, I can find a soul to live with until I can find a human. I much prefer them.

I know you like sheep because they can be blue. I respond.

Yes, let's find one.

     With that, he makes us get up and float up the stairs, he turns transparent and merely phases through the wooden floor, not bothering to move it. I watch calmly as we float above the beautiful field George's house is in. He knows that we cannot leave the field and stays clear of the border.

There! I accidentally take control, making us solid again, falling to the ground. Instead of using words, I can feel him struggling to regain control as we alight on the grass. The morning light is still young, the sky not yet blue. I give him the reins and watch as the vision we've shared for so long is tinted blue once more.

      I'm not sad, he knows what to do and how to survive. He's survived by traveling from host to host, taking a part of their minds until he is strong enough to completely overrule their conscience. He will never grow stronger than I, I've just grown to co-exist with him. I've grown quite fond of his small whisper, I'll miss him.

AW, YOU'LL MISS ME?! His voice is louder than he means, he usually has to shout to be heard, but when he's in control, his voice is the main thing that is heard.

Yes. Is all I say.

     He gives me the reins, our vision turns to normal and I shudder as I feel the place he once rested become empty. The sheep in front of me stares with curiosity, then I spot a nearly invisible silvery fog drift to it. It is painless, the sheep doesn't notice. The fog is gone and the sheep's eyes take on an eerily human form, filled with knowledge. I kneel down to be at the sheep's eye level, looking it in the eye and reaching out to pet its soft wool. Where I pet the white fuzz, my hand leaves a trail of blue. I'm cleaning out all of the memories that he came with, his own memories from past hosts that aren't mine. Usually, hosts won't remember him, but I get that choice because I have a bigger mental capacity than a sheep. I certainly won't forget him. When his old corner is no longer full with 'blue', I sigh as my brain is allowed the full space of my head.

"Farewell, Friend." I stand up and lift up my mask to give the bright blue mammal a wistful smile.

     He cannot answer me as a sheep. I know that. I summon a great wind just for me and float off, not turning back. I will miss him, I truly will. Hopefully, he will find a human host and achieve his dream one day.

     I float back to the house and drift down the dark steps back to my grueling task. Back to my tedious mining. Back to planning my own death.

Back to allowing George to die.