Chapter 1: the last of humanity

TRIGGER WARNING: This novel has a suicidal protagonist, so PLEASE read at your own risk. I will add more trigger warnings IF I see anything possibly triggering or suggested by a reader.

__________________________

The whole world was overcast with gray, and there was no sign of bright colors.

If it was only one place that was like this, then it would have counted as nothing, but now the whole of Earth was like this.

The sun was still in the sky, but the original red-colored light was filtered through the grey skies, in the end, there was only the faint impression of a grey circle.

If the Earth still had plants, they would have died because the sun had been hidden. Fortunately, those various plants had become extinct much earlier.

No, they weren't completely extinct. On the Earth's highest mountain, there was still a small piece of grass the size of a fingernail.

This kind of grass before the end of the world was extremely common and extremely unremarkable grass, and it was commonly used to make lawns. It could be found everywhere, but the people who knew its name were very few. People were used to stepping on them, while never closely looking at them.

But now, it has become Earth's last plant, placed in a transparent, crystal jar, stretching its body out to bring the last hint of green to the world.

A man wearing a thick black robe held the crystal jar as if it was precious, bringing warmth to the plant inside. He stood at the nearest place to the sun and basked under it. The way he looked at it was as if he was looking at the world's most precious thing.

It actually was really valuable because the far more beautiful and taller plants than it had already mutated or became extinct.

The man in the black robe stood quietly in the highest place in the world. He used the black robe to wrap himself in an airtight manner. His whole demeanor felt lifeless, like this world, but the area around him was very clean. Gray fog rolled on and on, but it couldn't penetrate his surrounding of one-meter radius, as if a transparent barrier had blocked it out.

It really was a barrier, or more commonly known as a domain, which only ability users of level seven and above could use.

The black-robed man stood there for a long time, motionless, staring at the crystal jar in his hands, up until there were signs of movement from below, only then did he finally turn his neck and watch from a distance.

A faint trace of bright red broke away from the fog and rushed towards the black-robed man.

That person was attacked by many black plants, but they were all pushed back by the fiery red domain around him. They couldn't hurt him, much less slow him down.

The domain around the black-robed man made a sweep with several waves, and in the next second, the black plants retreated.

"Lord, I've returned." His hair was cut without care, and he had a thick beard on his jaw, brimming with a mature appeal, this man supported his own domain to walk towards the black-robed man. His clothes were ragged, cutting a sorry figure, but he had been carefully protecting something in his bosom.

The black-robed man ignored him, turning his head to continue looking at the crystal jar in his hands.

"Lord, I've found some food!" The man supporting the red domain, or what was considered the fire domain, completely didn't care about the indifference of the black-robed man. He sat down near the black-robed man, letting both their domains squeeze together as well, then took out the thing in his embrace. It was a few cans. This type of can was produced on some bases after the apocalypse, but those bases with the capability to produce these cans had been destroyed at least five years ago, so these cans definitely had already expired.